How Many Eggs do Veiled Chameleons Lay?

humina

I have a Veiled Chameleon, she is about a year and a half old, tiny for her age as i believe her size might have been stunted from previous owner not carrying for her. Never been housed with a male, I've had her for a year. She began to dig last Thursday...would take a break, go back down and dig in her substrate. On Sunday I bought a five gallon bucket and play sand. Did a mixture of about 70% play sand to 30%substrate with peat moss. She began digging in that right away. This morning, she was perched by her heat light, so i misted her really good and glanced in the bucket and could see 6 eggs, I wasn't going to dig around because i didn't want to disturb her nest. I'm going to leave her be, but on average...how many eggs will they lay? I would say she is only 6 inches long, excluding her tail. I don't know if the size of the cham really matters to how many eggs she will lay. I just want to know if i need to take her to the vet, i don't want her to become egg bound.

I don't think she's egg bound if you saw eggs. Size and makeup of eggs have alot to do with a veil this size. I would guess 30 to 35 eggs would be a good average. Did the eggs look white, or yellow? Plump or a little deflated? Soft to touch or hard, like dried up egg yolk hard?

well, i know she is feeling better today. I checked on her when i first got home and she is back to her fiesty self. She has always hissed and struck at us since we got her, so we tend to just leave her alone, i know it just stresses her out. For the past couple days she has been very calm...understandably. I didnt do too much poking around the tank because i'm not sure if she's done yet but it looks like the same amount of eggs [6], they are white in color, somewhat soft. They are plump, still have the form of an "egg", kinda deflated. She never looked like she gained any weight so it's hard to tell if she's lost any. I can still see a tiny lump right above her vent area, but i can't remember if that was there before hand or not. It's not protruding out very far.

when should i become concerned and take her to see her vet? The last thing I would want is her to become eggbound...

She has dug multiple holes, none have been filled in, that i can see..i haven't been looking in on her too much as i know you are supposed to leave her alone. So she might've covered one up that i can not see. The eggs were not in a nest, they were ontop of the laying bin, two were covered though. This is her first time laying, i know its a long shot, but could it be lack of experience?

My Veiled laid 23 eggs. Mine had a very unusually small clutch for a Veiled. I don't know why she wouldn't cover her eggs though. Unless she finished laying in one of the other wholes she covered.

Has she seen you watching her at all when she's been digging??
I would think that she hasn't laid the eggs yet...that she is just dropping some...and this isn't usually a good sign unfortunately.

i haven't watched her dig holes. I have been leaving her alone, beside's turning her light on, misting and turning her light off. So no, she hasn't seen me. The eggs are 'together' not spread around the tank. She looks healthy, alert and she ate last night. I still have her tank covered with a sheet so she has privacy. If i come home and she is still the same i will take her on a trip to the vet. Just to get an x-ray to see if she still has any, and go from there with the vet's opinion on what to do. I googled the signs of egg-binding and she isn't showing any of those signs. She seems back to her normal self. I will take a deeper look into her tank this evening and see if i find anymore eggs...again, i didn't look too deep because i didn't want to disturb her.

Back
Top Bottom