How many Chams in one cage?

I think i counted 5 with a possible 6th near the middle of the vid i think i could see the top of a head on the lower center of the frame. What type of roaches are they munching on??

As a general rule, only one per cage. However, depending on several factors (such as experience working with chameleons and space) you could keep more than one in a large enough enclosure. This does NOT, of course, mean 2 or more in a standard 2'x2'x4' cage because this is not enough space. You'd need enough space so that all of them can bask and eat and roam without being constantly on top of each other and then you need to have enough experience to see when it's not working for them.

I personally keep 4 male panthers together in an entire ROOM, free ranged with lots of climbing surface area and space. This means that they can each roam their own area of the room without having to encounter the others if they don't want to. However, I frequently find at least two of them sitting together on one of the feeding tubs or within inches while sleeping. So far, not a single fight in the 8 months this experiment has lasted, but we'll see how successful it is longer term. Again though, just because some people manage to do it to a certain level of success does not mean that anyone or everyone can do it.

I forgot to count how many chams were in that cage. lol I was too busy checking out all the roaches in that cup. Those were some fast movers! I may have to steal that cup idea. I like how it hooked thru the wire and stayed put. Ive been trying to find an alternative to plastic drinking cups or glass bowls. I like that, easy to take in and out and easy to keep clean.

I wonder why he has so many grown males in one enclosure?

As a general rule, only one per cage. However, depending on several factors (such as experience working with chameleons and space) you could keep more than one in a large enough enclosure. This does NOT, of course, mean 2 or more in a standard 2'x2'x4' cage because this is not enough space. You'd need enough space so that all of them can bask and eat and roam without being constantly on top of each other and then you need to have enough experience to see when it's not working for them.

Exactly. I've kept more than one cham in a HUGE cage, but they were picked carefully based on personality and what areas they tended to use, and watched constantly for stress. Free ranging multiples can work...I've done it with melleri successfully.

The key is offering each cham a wide choice of spaces to go to all the time, the chance each has to isolate themselves when they need to, and knowing when you need to intervene and separate them. No 2x2x4 foot cage is going to offer this.

Can it ever be done? Sure. Should it ever be done? Maybe. It is safest for the cham to be cautious until you know your chams very very well.

Those roaches appear to be Turks - most of my chameleons prefer them to dubia or hissers.
Its hard to tell by perspective, but its possible those males are all of the same cluth, still fairly young, and its possible the cage is larger than it seems.
Just because you see it on UTube doesnt mean its a good idea

Those are "Red Runners" that they are eating. Or known as "Rusty Reds" too. But there are several names for them. I have a small colony now. Im not that impresed. That cage is too small. I could see if it was the size of a room. But I dont know. Maybe he found out the secret.

The one eating had some funky looking head pads.

there were 6 total in that video.

It's funny how we're only given the names of two of them. It makes me wonder if the others have names like Fred, Bill and Doug.

Back
Top Bottom