how long should i wait?

jandie

soo, i'm getting really anxious about our ankaramy girl...she spent part of a morning doing a little digging, but didn't get very far digging in the potted plant roots vs the sand bin i had in there for her...but she hasn't started again since... we're right at 38 days right now....and i've tried putting her in a different bin with a sand/dirt mixture just in case she "preferred" the dirt and still nothing.... she looks miserable....lol...she's still eating, but not really moving around much throughout the day (not sleeping or anything...she's just looks "pregnantly unable to be active"....)...lol...

i'm thinking that if she hasn't started digging by wednesday morning, we're going to make a vet visit....

anyone think that's too long or think i'm just being overly anxious?

any advice would be terrific!! =):confused:

soo, i'm getting really anxious about our ankaramy girl...she spent part of a morning doing a little digging, but didn't get very far digging in the potted plant roots vs the sand bin i had in there for her...but she hasn't started again since... we're right at 38 days right now....and i've tried putting her in a different bin with a sand/dirt mixture just in case she "preferred" the dirt and still nothing.... she looks miserable....lol...she's still eating, but not really moving around much throughout the day (not sleeping or anything...she's just looks "pregnantly unable to be active"....)...lol...

i'm thinking that if she hasn't started digging by wednesday morning, we're going to make a vet visit....

anyone think that's too long or think i'm just being overly anxious?

any advice would be terrific!! =):confused:

That made me giggle! :D I remember how it feels to be in that state myself, lol! I know with both my females they dug test sites for 3 or 4 days before getting down t it properly. Is the sand/soil damp enough for her? They don't always stop eating either - my girl is so greedy she at a locust just hours before she laid!

That made me giggle! :D I remember how it feels to be in that state myself, lol! I know with both my females they dug test sites for 3 or 4 days before getting down t it properly. Is the sand/soil damp enough for her? They don't always stop eating either - my girl is so greedy she at a locust just hours before she laid!
yeah, one of my other girls didn't stop eating...whereas the other, stopped like 2 days before... so that part doesn't really worry me....it's mainly the length of time and the fact that she did dig some...but hasn't resumed at all...

i've made several test holes in both the bin in her cage and the bigger bin (the small one is only sand, whereas the bigger bin has the mixture)...and it's still damp enough to dig without collapsing, but not so damp that it's pooled or anything like that....

i'm mainly anxious cause she hasn't been back down to dig after that one day....and that was at least a week ago....

anyone else with recommendations? i keep debating back and forth and can't make a decision. still no digging or scratching today when i got home... :(

A member of the forum, Pssh, had a female go 55+ days being gravid, and the female laid her eggs fine. She probably stopped digging because you were watching her.

What you can do to "trick" her is to put her in a large trash can, where she can't get out, so she has no choice but to dig, or sit there. Usually that does the trick. If not, you may need to bring her to the vet, to prevent eggbounding.

A member of the forum, Pssh, had a female go 55+ days being gravid, and the female laid her eggs fine. She probably stopped digging because you were watching her.

What you can do to "trick" her is to put her in a large trash can, where she can't get out, so she has no choice but to dig, or sit there. Usually that does the trick. If not, you may need to bring her to the vet, to prevent eggbounding.
that's what i did with the bigger bin....and actually gave her a mixture of the soil and sand, in case she preferred the soil since that's where she was digging previously...i left her in there for the full day and absolutely nothing.... though originally, she didn't stop because of me....i think she stopped because she wasn't getting anywhere with the roots...all i could see was where she was digging and dirt on her head.... just concerns me that she hasn't started again....

i remember seeing the thread with the 55+ days...but i'm pretty sure (without going back and reading again) there was a vet visit involved in that process... i'm just more wondering if i'm just being overly anxious at 38-39 days....

This worked with my panther girl. I took some sphagnum moss, put it in a plastic bag and ran hot tap water on it in the bag. I shook out most of the water while it was still pretty warm and layed it across the top of the dirt in her laying bin. I also took a small chunk of driftwood and laid it on top of a hole that I started for her under the moss. I covered her cage with a sheet and she laid the next morning. By 9am she was in her basking spot, skinnier with dirt on her nose. This has worked for me every time when she was not digging as she normally does. She is 2 1/2 years old and has laid 3 fertile clutches and 6 non fertile. I thnk some prefer to dig under something which is why the wet moss and the driftwood works for her.

This worked with my panther girl. I took some sphagnum moss, put it in a plastic bag and ran hot tap water on it in the bag. I shook out most of the water while it was still pretty warm and layed it across the top of the dirt in her laying bin. I also took a small chunk of driftwood and laid it on top of a hole that I started for her under the moss. I covered her cage with a sheet and she laid the next morning. By 9am she was in her basking spot, skinnier with dirt on her nose. This has worked for me every time when she was not digging as she normally does. She is 2 1/2 years old and has laid 3 fertile clutches and 6 non fertile. I thnk some prefer to dig under something which is why the wet moss and the driftwood works for her.
awesome suggestion...i may try that....the big bin has it set up "almost" like that....she could dig under the small fake plant i have in there...but maybe she doesn't like that corner or it's not big enough for her....

i'll figure out something tonight to try to create something more hidden inside the bin and leave her in tomorrow while i'm at work.... thanks!

A gravid female may dig several test holes but should settle on one and dig it until she is satisfied with it. She should did every day once she starts. Once she is satisfied with it she should turn around butt down and lay the eggs, fill the hole in and tamp it down and return to the branches. If it varies from this chances are that there is a problem or a reason for it and usually it means trouble.

Once a female starts digging, its important that she does not see you watching her or be disturbed more than absolutely necessary...like once to move her to a larger bin.

If she digs and then does not go back to digging, she may be heading towards eggbinding. If she shows lethargy, sits low in the cage, is not active, sits with her eyes closed, etc. then she is heading towards egg binding. Once she becomes eggbound the only alternative is to spay her as a rule.

By the time she is eggbound, then oxytocin won't work. If oxytocin is given too soon it isn't good either.

good and "not so good" news...

well...took her to the vet today, and i am greatly relieved that she's ok and i don't have to worry about any egg-binding... they did x-rays and lots of egg follicles, but no actual eggs, so...no need to worry...but also no babies. <shrug>

good news is that she has gained some size/weight, (nothing bad for her) and now i can relax. :D hehe....AND....maybe i won't have to buy yet another incubator atm...lol... can just focus on the eggs we already have. :D

sorry for the disappoint for babies though! i'll let you know when that time comes!

Nooooo! :( I really wanted a baby. I guess it'll give me WAY more time to save up for one. :) Glad she's ok and you have that weight lifted off of your shoulders, for now. Lol!:p

Back
Top Bottom