How long outside ?

Ruganut

A bit of a silly question, but how long can I keep my cham outside in the sunny weather we are having atm ?

I have made a little outdoor vine and leaf pot for him, so theres enough shade if he wants it ;)

IMHE, as long as temperatures are in the right neighborhood and the animal has access to sun as well as full shade it can remain outdoors. I stress the importance of access to full shade though. Objects, including chameleons, exposed to the sun can rapidly reach temperatures well above ambient. For instance, a chameleon (or many other objects) kept in full sun can reach lethal temperatures >100 F (>38 C) on a 75 F (24 C) day.

if it is not too hot I leave mine outside all day long if I am home. They are provided shade of course, a dripper and I go outside and mist the them a couple of times a day.

Just make sure its safe from birds and such.

Last time I had L.B. out, I had to take him inside early because a bluejay noticed him and decided to sit on our fence eyeballing him.

Stupid birds

I know the feeling when I have my chams free ranging outside I sit like 2 foot away lol and feel like every bird is watching I'm gonna build a better setup for outside one day!

Thanks for the replies, I didnt even think about birds looking out for an early lunch.... time to by some wire mesh me thinks ;)

Thanks for the replies, I didnt even think about birds looking out for an early lunch.... time to by some wire mesh me thinks ;)

oh yeah, did not realize you were going to free range outside. My one cham was almost literally swiped out of his tree by a hawk. I actually batted it out of the air!

depends on what you have.

i used to keep most of my adult veileds and panthers outdoors all summer, except for during hot spells.

if you can have a cool mist from a hose running on a small portion of your cage that will help them thermoregulate in the heat of the day. since theyre stuck where you put them.

since youre just freeranging you can keep them out as long as you feel like sitting around and watching them. provided they have places to hide in the shade. keep an eye out for blanched coloration or excessive gaping.

and make sure you put them in a tree or bush that youll be able to get them out of if they decide to walk all the way up to the tippy top (see my post about balloon fishing chameleons out of trees)

Back
Top Bottom