Snake Plant as Metaphor for Chameleon

dinomom

Chameleon Enthusiast
Bought this plant as a 4" pot (for a cham..) over 25 years ago. It has been in multiple enclosures, states and houses along the way, the last 10 years in a shaded patio.

2 years ago I put it outside in full sun. And it is blooming! I have never seen this and thought the bloom was a weed and almost pulled it out.

During COVID this plant was touted as doing just fine in very low light/poor conditions and it "lives" in many people's dark bedrooms.

So this made me think of chams and other animals. With substandard husbandry they can sometimes "live". Our goal here is to help them THRIVE.

Attachments

• s plt.jpg
    s plt.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 43
Beautifully put! I have one as well, I'll move it to a place where it gets more light because I did not know this about the snake plant!

Beautifully put! I have one as well, I'll move it to a place where it gets more light because I did not know this about the snake plant!
Me either after all these years! It did suffer for a few months from leaf burn so I trimmed those off and then it just took off.

Bought this plant as a 4" pot (for a cham..) over 25 years ago. It has been in multiple enclosures, states and houses along the way, the last 10 years in a shaded patio.

2 years ago I put it outside in full sun. And it is blooming! I have never seen this and thought the bloom was a weed and almost pulled it out.

During COVID this plant was touted as doing just fine in very low light/poor conditions and it "lives" in many people's dark bedrooms.

So this made me think of chams and other animals. With substandard husbandry they can sometimes "live". Our goal here is to help them THRIVE.
Here's the bloom if anyone interested. It is slightly past peak, sort of looked like a spider orchid

Attachments

• Snake plant bloom.jpg
    Snake plant bloom.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 37
Congrats on it blooming! A word to the wise, don't ever plant it outside of a pot, it will TAKE OVER!!! My darling hubby decided my butterfly garden needed some snake plants. After about a year where they got out of control I yelled at him and he took them out. And they are still coming up... Be smarter than we are, keep them potted! ;)

Congrats on it blooming! A word to the wise, don't ever plant it outside of a pot, it will TAKE OVER!!! My darling hubby decided my butterfly garden needed some snake plants. After about a year where they got out of control I yelled at him and he took them out. And they are still coming up... Be smarter than we are, keep them potted! ;)
Yep spreads underground, sort of like bamboo!

Back
Top Bottom