How I Syringe/Force Feed my Chameleon

ElliotG

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello, I decided to make a video on the 3 ways I try to syringe feed my chameleons. I’ve never posted on YouTube so sorry if it’s horrible lol! I thought this might help a few of the members with force feeding.

Also big thanks to my chameleon zeppelin. He got a big hornworm and some free roam time.
63A5C3A1-5F2F-4847-9A13-2B91D71EBA7A.jpeg

Syringe feeding is a last resort with chams... Normally there is always a reason for them going off food. Either a health issue or a husbandry issue. Finding out what the cause is becomes very important. Husbandry issues involve correcting the problem and health issues means vet care.
Here is a website on how to and explains the anatomy more. http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2014/05/how-to-give-different-medicines.html

Last edited:
Syringe feeding is a last resort with chams... Normally there is always a reason for them going off food. Either a health issue or a husbandry issue. Finding out what the cause is becomes very important. Husbandry issues involve correcting the problem and health issues means vet care.
Here is a website on how to and explains the anatomy more. http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2014/05/how-to-give-different-medicines.html
Thank you for addressing that, it is indeed only in dire situations, don’t just syringe feed your Chams for the heck of it.

amazing vid
thank you!

If I am seeing right you suggest pulling down the bottom jaw or wiggling in the syringe. This is a bad idea. There jaw is not that strong and applying too much pressure can break the jaw. Wiggling it in can damage teeth gums and lips. You also don't want to grab around the body to secure as it can break ribs. The proper way is to secure the head by with fingers around the neck in a loop sort of so it is not applying pressure, but the animal can't turn his head. Then gently but firmly pinch the guler crest (the pouch area under is chin) and pull down and he will open his mouth nice and wide.

I don't mean to be critical, but some of the methods you show can cause harm with an unwilling chameleon. And as @Beman says it is more critical to know why a chameleon is not eating in the first place. A healthy cham can go weeks without food so solving the problem is often a better course. Further most captive cham are over weight to begin with.

NOW THE GOOD NEWS!
I admire you for doing something. I have not had the courage to do YouTube video yet. It is not necessarily bad info just not the best as we have to consider the end user may have little to no experience, and these techniques are not the safest. I encourage you to continue but would suggest studying more on some of the top experts. like https://chameleonacademy.com/ and https://www.chameleons.info/en/ Or my site caskAbove which is sort of a cliff notes of the others . There is alot of misinformation out there, the more we can promote the advanced care and experience of these long term keepers and professionals the better. When you plan your videos set up rules and guide lines you will follow and write a script. This will help you produce consistent, informative videos. KEEP GOING we need people that care enough to make these videos.

If I am seeing right you suggest pulling down the bottom jaw or wiggling in the syringe. This is a bad idea. There jaw is not that strong and applying too much pressure can break the jaw. Wiggling it in can damage teeth gums and lips. You also don't want to grab around the body to secure as it can break ribs. The proper way is to secure the head by with fingers around the neck in a loop sort of so it is not applying pressure, but the animal can't turn his head. Then gently but firmly pinch the guler crest (the pouch area under is chin) and pull down and he will open his mouth nice and wide.

I don't mean to be critical, but some of the methods you show can cause harm with an unwilling chameleon. And as @Beman says it is more critical to know why a chameleon is not eating in the first place. A healthy cham can go weeks without food so solving the problem is often a better course. Further most captive cham are over weight to begin with.

NOW THE GOOD NEWS!
I admire you for doing something. I have not had the courage to do YouTube video yet. It is not necessarily bad info just not the best as we have to consider the end user may have little to no experience, and these techniques are not the safest. I encourage you to continue but would suggest studying more on some of the top experts. like https://chameleonacademy.com/ and https://www.chameleons.info/en/ Or my site caskAbove which is sort of a cliff notes of the others . There is alot of misinformation out there, the more we can promote the advanced care and experience of these long term keepers and professionals the better. When you plan your videos set up rules and guide lines you will follow and write a script. This will help you produce consistent, informative videos. KEEP GOING we need people that care enough to make these videos.
I don’t try to wiggle it into their teeth, I wiggle it into their lip, and with the syringe I lightly rub against their gums, it will cause them to get irritated and open their mouths.

Again I’m not trying to promote the idea of force feeding your chameleon, I had originally made it for a member on here who was force feeding their chameleon.

I do agree I should’ve maybe put a discretion on when to start force feeding them, and maybe I can redo the video and include that if people are really wanting a thorough video on how I’ve successfully force fed my chameleons. I’ve only done it for my blind Cham when he had troubles hunting and my make veiled when he had calcium and vitamin deficiencies as recommended by a vet.

Thank you all for the feedback I really appreciate it. I don’t like forcing the jaw open, that’s why in my video I said it’s a last resort. I’ll probably redo it with more facts and editing and maybe repost it, so it can be a bit more safer for chameleon owners and their Cham.

I don’t try to wiggle it into their teeth, I wiggle it into their lip, and with the syringe I lightly rub against their gums, it will cause them to get irritated and open their mouths.

Again I’m not trying to promote the idea of force feeding your chameleon, I had originally made it for a member on here who was force feeding their chameleon.

I do agree I should’ve maybe put a discretion on when to start force feeding them, and maybe I can redo the video and include that if people are really wanting a thorough video on how I’ve successfully force fed my chameleons. I’ve only done it for my blind Cham when he had troubles hunting and my make veiled when he had calcium and vitamin deficiencies as recommended by a vet.

Thank you all for the feedback I really appreciate it. I don’t like forcing the jaw open, that’s why in my video I said it’s a last resort. I’ll probably redo it with more facts and editing and maybe repost it, so it can be a bit more safer for chameleon owners and their Cham.
Right but what he is trying to tell you is this can cause injury to the gums. Then your dealing with mouth rot on top of what ever the initial issue was. Your best bet with trying to get a cham to open its mouth is in that link I posted. Gently pressing right behind the jaws on both side of the mouth. This will almost always initiate them to go into a defense posture and open their mouth at you.

I am pretty sure I know which member you are talking about that you made this for.... if it is the same one then they too should not be force feeding. Something much more is going on in their situation. There are so many husbandry issues going on that it could be related to many things. So enforcing the action of forced feeding and watering in their situation is not beneficial.

I am not trying to rag on you. I can appreciate that you are trying to help. But sometimes the "help" I am seeing in the forum of late is a major cause for concern and can cause further issues. I am by no means an expert but we have a lot of Newbies getting very involved in threads and trying to "help". Or mimicking the exact advice that the experienced members have already suggested. This is pointless. People are talking to just try to gain standing in the forum. And this helps no one in the end including the person doing it.

I am not sure how long you have had chams. I know you have been in the forum a short period of time. I support your eagerness but we can only teach what is correct. When we start teaching methods that are not we have the potential to cause harm. This is why making videos is a slippery slope. And honestly I prefer to see the leaders in our hobby do because they have the experience and expertise to back it up.

I just decided to take the video down since it could cause more harm. Thanks for the feedback y’all.
There are other videos that are up by leaders in the hobby on this particular topic. So no worries people can access the info on youtube if they need it. Your skills are better served helping in the forum where we have lots of people with questions. And you have back up from other members that want to see you grow as a keeper.

There are other videos that are up by leaders in the hobby on this particular topic. So no worries people can access the info on youtube if they need it. Your skills are better served helping in the forum where we have lots of people with questions. And you have back up from other members that want to see you grow as a keeper.
I really appreciate it. Especially the new method given to me. I’ve never been a fan of force feeding but with me taking in sick Chams I have to do it a bit at times. This method just seems safer and less stressful. Thanks ❤️.

@ElliotG ...I admire that you made the video...it took time and thought and also showed that you care about chameleons. I know your next one will be a very good one!
I can’t say anything more eloquent and perfect than @kinyonga has said.
You have so very much to offer to the chameleon community, so continue growing, learning and sharing. 💗
Btw, for some reason at the beginning of your video you reminded me a little of Emily from Snake Discovery - I mean this as a compliment. :)
Thank you guys! I didn’t think I would make videos for stuff like that but maybe I’ll slowly get into the hobby.

I think you should! It was a great video. You're very calm & well informative. Every day we learn more & more. Trial & error hun. Just because something didn't go right the first time, doesn't mean you should completely give it up. Zeppelin is quite the model too !♡ lol

Back
Top Bottom