How frustrating!

Dragon Born

So I got 2 baby veiled chameleons when they were 3 weeks old and have had them for around 2 months. I have been supplementing there crickets with calcium almost every feeding(I stopped for a few days because I saw the white dust coming from there nose which is just them getting rid of excess calcium) and then literally overnight I notice that the male seems to have mbd...and the female is perfectly normal. I have been giving them the same supplements and they live in the same cage together so it baffles me that one would get mbd and not the other one...why is this? Do I HAVE to get a calcium injection for the lil guy or if I bump up his supplements will that do the trick? Literally I was holding this guy yesterday and noticed nothing wrong with him but today I looked at him and instantly thought his legs looked like the have mbd...

Help?

Attachments

• DSCF2169.jpg
    DSCF2169.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCF2170.jpg
    DSCF2170.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCF2167.jpg
    DSCF2167.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 174
please fill out this information and post pictures if possible. That way forum members can give you the best advice.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Post a pic plz. mbd doesnt happen overnight, it could be a broken bone from a bite or fall. You shouldn't have them together anymore, puts to much stress on them.

Can you post some pics please. MBD, does not just happen over night. Are they kept in separate cages? Do you have a spiral compact uvb or tube? BTW the white is not calcicum excess, but salts and minerals so if you see it again, do NOT stop the calcium. edit: ok I see you house them together. As far as the light, if it is a compact the female may be getting more uvb because it covers such a small area.

Took some pics that may help. Hes being skiddish right now because of the camera.
Ill fill out that info in a min.

Your Chameleon - Veiled male 3 months old. Been in my care for 2 months no problems til now.
Handling - 1 or twice a week. He is very skiddish but mellows out once hes out of the cage
Feeding - I throw 10-15 crickets in there bowl a day with calcium supplement almost every feeding. The crickets are feed carrots.
Supplements - Zoomed calcium, herpative and calcium with d3 twice a month
Watering - I use spray bottle. I see them drink.
Fecal Description - Black and white goes every day
History - They are brother and sister and are kept together. They dont seem to mind each other and like to sleep close to one another

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 16 x 16 x 30 screen mesh
Lighting - 60 watt bask and uvb 5.0 linear
Temperature - Its usually around 87 day and 72 night
Humidity - 60% spray bottle and cool mist humidifier
Plants -benjamia ficus
Placement - Its by my door I put a clothe over them at night
Location - San francisco

Current Problem - I think he has mbd..his elbows seem to be a little bent while the females are straight. He also seems to sneeze sometimes but no muscus discharge or anything like that.

There is nothing that sticks out really that is wrong. I thought maybe if you had a compact uvb, the female might have been getting more time under it, but you have a linear so there should be plenty of room for the both of them. I still would separate them at this point. Also, I would feed your crickets better. Carrots is not enough. Post a few pics if you can.

just posted a few. I can get a few up in a few mins once they finish exporting. Hes the browner one and shes the very light in the pic of both of em.

The first pic the one leg looks a little weird, but the last pic is quite clear and his legs look perfectly normal. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Can you post another pic of the left front leg again.?

here is more

Attachments

• DSCF2173.jpg
    DSCF2173.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 212
  • DSCF2165.jpg
    DSCF2165.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCF2174.jpg
    DSCF2174.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 175
The first pic the one leg looks a little weird, but the last pic is quite clear and his legs look perfectly normal. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Can you post another pic of the left front leg again.?

I trust your judgment but his casque also seems to a lil bent as well. It may be easier to see in the 2nd set of pics.

I am confused...the chameleon in the first pic? Is that the female? In the third pic I see a chameleon further down and that is the one with the odd looking leg left front leg. The pics you just posted...yes it appears to have an extra joint in his leg and that is not right. I don't see how the first pics you posted, the right front leg looks fine and in the ones you just posted it looks to have two joints.

ok, I am sorry. The first set of pics...the third pic...I now realize that is the female on top right? That is the one I was looking at and not the male down below. So yes, it does appear to be the start of mbd and I have no idea why if you are supplying calcium and he is getting enough uvb light.

they should be getting 10 to 15 crickets per day each and not shared between the two of them.

They have never eaten that much. And I dont feed them the tiny ones I feed them the like 3-4 week ones so maybe that is why they do not eat 15 a day each. But I will start throwing more in there just to make sure. I think I may have to separate them to make sure they both have equal access to resources.

But back to the male, which seems to just getting the mbd which is still really weird because the female doesnt have any signs of it. Will I be alright with no calcium inject if I up his supplements? I started go a bit light on the dusting and because of the excess minerals being expelled from his nose but I will stop that. Will I be able to correct his mild mbd or will his legs no always look like that? Damn this things are picky, even with months of research I guess I still do not have it down..What is the easiest gut load? Carrots seemed to be fine for 2 month straight they were growing and shedding. They have shed twice since I have had them.

They have never eaten that much. And I dont feed them the tiny ones I feed them the like 3-4 week ones.

you really need to separate them to ensure they each getting enough food. I know you read my other post by now and I am sorry that your chameleon does appear to have mbd. Like I said, I am not sure why unless he is not getting enough food with calcium on them.

Back
Top Bottom