How friendly is YOUR chameleon?

Pilotman800

The general consensus is that you're not supposed to handle chameleons often. However, I have heard from some people that their chameleons are friendly with them, and have heard from others that they can't handle them. At all.

This is a fun discussion thread, not a thread asking if I should handle my chameleon. How friendly is your chameleon?

:)

My chameleon has moods... If I have food with me he wont hesitate to run up my arm, but if he doesn't feel like being bothered he will be just as quick to try and bite me haha.

Some days he doesn't mind me pokin around his cage to clean up, other days he will start firing up before I can even open the cage.

My first veiled, Sobe, is friendly. She doesnt mind comin out, and will crawl right onto your hand.

Out of the 2 baby veieleds, Rain is a TOTAL A HOLE! I mean... turns black, hisses, tries to bite... But her sister, bella... is one of the friendliest chams ive ever seen. the cage opens she just flys out and sits on your shoulder.

The large veield, Sour Diesel, is another total butt head. He will try to bite you through the cage somtimes.....

And our baby panther, Spyro, is another SUPER FRIENDLY guy. loves to come out and hang around.

My panther doesn't mind me too much as long as I am either feeding or spraying. If I just sit there and look at him he will get pissy, but doesn't like handling at all. So, I only handle him when I need to clean the cage or if I REALLY want to.

Diego is super friendly.. today I had his cage open, while feeding him worms and misting him as drank water from spray bottle, and he tried to come out towards me. I think he want to go out for some sun but it was still nice :D. I love that lil guy!

My 5 month old panther doesn't mind me in his free range at all - cleaning, pruning, etc. He will eat from my hand or wait to see where I will put some food item and then snatch it up. But when it comes to picking him up - he hates it. He doesn't gape or snap at me, he just runs away. I take him outside about twice a week so he is getting used to it, but still acts as if I am taking him to have his last meal.

Deb

my 18 month old male veiled, Stanley, will rush you when you stand in front or open the door to his enclosure! he will eagerly climb onto your hand and be very happy to just be carried around!!!
he hand feeds crickets, roaches, worms of any type and strawberries when hes in the mood!!
he has NEVER hissed or gaped at me, EVER, not to say that he is ever happy to go back into his enclosure, he does it reluctantly at times.

honestly, i attribute all of this friendliness, to his parentage and his upbringing!!!!! he is a Luie and Camille baby, i got him from Jannb here on the forum! she handled him and all of his siblings right out of the egg!!!!! people are just second nature to him!!!!!! ;) (thanks Jann!! ) :)

my 18 month old male veiled, Stanley, will rush you when you stand in front or open the door to his enclosure! he will eagerly climb onto your hand and be very happy to just be carried around!!!
he hand feeds crickets, roaches, worms of any type and strawberries when hes in the mood!!
he has NEVER hissed or gaped at me, EVER, not to say that he is ever happy to go back into his enclosure, he does it reluctantly at times.

honestly, i attribute all of this friendliness, to his parentage and his upbringing!!!!! he is a Luie and Camille baby, i got him from Jannb here on the forum! she handled him and all of his siblings right out of the egg!!!!! people are just second nature to him!!!!!! ;) (thanks Jann!! ) :)

WOW, it sounds like you have the nicest chameleon here. :eek:

All of my guys are friendly and handled daily. They get moved around daily from one tree to another and inside to outside and back. I have a few that would much rather be on me than any tree. I have videos of some of them on youtube. When I had Luie & Camille's babies, I think they liked to be held too. Look at the babies at 6 weeks old in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MzulorMdTE

My veiled thinks anything outside his cage is evil and tries to eat me if I get in his cage, even to feed him. My panther eagerly awaits my return home and scratches at the cage door to come out when he sees me. He enjoys hanging out with people and just a few weeks ago went for a show and tell session with a high school summer camp and crawled from person to person about 40 times without ever flashing even a hint of stress coloration! The kids adored him! My Jackson tolerates being touched and hand fed but doesn't appreciate being held unless it leads to outdoor cage time. It just depends on the cham...

My guy is awesome to look at but not to touch. He goes from jerk to jerkoff to a hole when you try to touch him. He will eat from my hand but if it is time to do his weekly check up he will run like I am going to take him out and feed him to something bigger. He knows exactly which branch does not ever come out of the cage and when it time to clean he goes to that right away. I love him tons but at a far. Certainly not going to be one of those that come out on their own. I just got him a hanging plant (pothos), hung it next to his cage and gave him some vines to get onto it. It took three worms to get him on the plant and you but he has not left if for three hours. I think he likes it but I am begining to wonder what I am going to do to get him back in. LOL :)

My panther is the super friendly and so easy to handle. I can pet him, pick him up from behind, it doesn't matter, he is very mellow!

I have a senegal that is a total ham for attention. To date he hasn't biten, hissed or gaped. ( but its only been two weeks.) I usually let him hang out on a large house plant when I am working on the p.c and if you stand or sit too close he will reach to you.. He is turning out to be a sweetheart.. In my avatar he is driving the car... hehe:cool:

The general consensus is that you're not supposed to handle chameleons often. However, I have heard from some people that their chameleons are friendly with them, and have heard from others that they can't handle them. At all.

This is a fun discussion thread, not a thread asking if I should handle my chameleon. How friendly is your chameleon?

:)

my tamatave panther LOVES and when i mean LOVES as soon as i get into my room he starts scratching the screen with his claws to get out and when i open his cage he runs up my shoulder and stays there for a good hour i LOVE him he was my first cham to :D thats why now im doing some testing to see if he would like to free range :D

Leonard def lives up to his. if any one has watched Ugly American's we named him after the drunk wizard Leonard. has an attitude but is sometime friendly. just depends on the phase of the moon.

My Ambilobe is, what we call, Rasta... Always willing to come out or too have my hand in his cage.

My Nosy male is a work in progress. Until he hit a year I had to trick him onto my hand. Lately he has been a lot easier.

My new female nosy is really calm so far. Haven't handled her but she is relaxed when I have my hand in her cage.

My cham, Echo, who I've had for a month now is actually quite friendly. I get him out just about everyday to get him some natural sunlight while it lasts :) I get him out and my mom will sit there and talk to him and ask him if he wants to go outside and he just turns his head towards her and swivels his eyes around like, "outside...I can go outside?" :p I love that little guy

My 4 month old panther is shy and runs away if I get too close in his cage. He used to turn dark whenever I came near the cage but after a few weeks he seems more confident when I am around. I only tried to hand feed him once and he ran up to me and bit my finger so I only use the feeder cup now. I don't want to stress him out too much.

My only concern is if I have to remove him from the cage to go to the vet or rearrange the cage, I won't be able to safely get him out. Should I continue to try to hand feed him to get him used to me? I have only had him for a month.

My Cham is a sambava panther and is 6 months and in a cupola days will be 7 months well when I first got him he was kind of grumpy but now he is super friendly I hold him everyday! He's amazing lol!

Back
Top Bottom