how dyou keep your feeding cup..

SS4Luck

Established Member
..from getting flooded??!

Right now im using a cut down red party cup as a food cup which was fine until i got my auto mister (aquazamp review coming real soon :) )cuz i could cover my cup and keep the water out of it. I came home today to find my baby crickets drowned cuz the cup just relly didnt drain :(

Im thinking i can cut the bottom of it off, then glueing/taping/rubber banding screen mesh around the bottom so water can pass right through but the crickets cant get out.

any ideas?

Perhaps after one of the mistings, drain the cup and then place the feeders in, giving your cham time to eat prior to the next misting??

I have seen cups at Petsmart that looks like a deli cup but the bottom is mesh. I think the mesh was a bit large for small crickets to stay inside.... but it's been a while and I can't really remember exactly how big the mesh was.

The milk jug idea with screen on the side works pretty good. If you cut out the bottom and then glue in some screen it should work even better.

I personally don't cup feed unless the cham is young and in a cage, if this is the same cham you were showing me a photo of yesterday, then it is a good idea... but if the cage isn't too big he should be able to find free range crickets in it.

you could always just poke holes in the bottom so that the water can drip out of it, or cut the bottom off and replace it with mesh.

I hang a large deli cup from a branch. I drill many small holes in the bottom edge (the lowest point in the cup). The angle at which the cup hangs allows the water to drain. It works great. You may have wet crickets but they shouldn't drown this way.

I have seen cups at Petsmart that looks like a deli cup but the bottom is mesh. I think the mesh was a bit large for small crickets to stay inside.... but it's been a while and I can't really remember exactly how big the mesh was.

The milk jug idea with screen on the side works pretty good. If you cut out the bottom and then glue in some screen it should work even better.

I personally don't cup feed unless the cham is young and in a cage, if this is the same cham you were showing me a photo of yesterday, then it is a good idea... but if the cage isn't too big he should be able to find free range crickets in it.

Yeah it is for the Omerta. He is currently the only cham i have. I have plans for having 2 more by the end of January, so i thought ahead and got extra nozzles :) I dont like cup feeding adults, but he is so small and already doesnt like to eat much i HAVE to be able to see what hes eating. Imma cut the bottom off and mesh it and see how that works for him.

Yes, what I do is wake up at 7 every morning (my digital thermometer/hygrometer has an alarm) turn Hughs dripper on, mist his enclosure down, and then grab a few Reptiworms along with a Butterworm, and set the cup wedged ontop of his ficus. I wait for him to eat and then remove the cup when he's done. :)

take it out when you mist? ha mines not fixed so ;)

unfortunately i do not have that option :/ my mister is an auto unit, and im not home during the day to remove the cup. My guy wont eat infront of me and doesnt exactly run to the cup yet (hes barely 2 months old and still thinks im going to eat him) so i have to leave it in all day un observed

Yes, what I do is wake up at 7 every morning (my digital thermometer/hygrometer has an alarm) turn Hughs dripper on, mist his enclosure down, and then grab a few Reptiworms along with a Butterworm, and set the cup wedged ontop of his ficus. I wait for him to eat and then remove the cup when he's done. :)

the morning mistings are okay, as they go off @ 8 and i leave my house @ 830 and can put food on post mist, its the 10, 12, 3 oclock mistings that do me in

ive tried the hole thing it doesnt work so well. i just screened the bottom of the cup. it works the best. just use glue. with holes alone it will collect poop and what not.

get a 2 liter plastic soda bottle, and a big can of v-8 juice.
Drink everything.
Make a band about 2" wide out of the v-8 can. File the edges so they are smooth- one edge can be the rounded edge of the can- if so, use that side up.
Spray the band with paint to keep it from rusting.
Cut an 6" band out of the plastic soda bottle.
Stretch aluminum screening over the v-8 band, and slide the whole thing up into the bottom of the plastic soda bottle band, so the soda bottle forms the walls of the bowl, and the aluminum screen is stretched over the top of the v-8 band and forms the bottom of the bowl.
There you go- nice misting compatible bowl- even superworms don't drown in mine.

||||||| <-- soda bottle band
|||||||
TTTTT <--- v-8 band with aluminum screening stretched over the top then shoved up into the bottom of the soda bottle band

When you shove the band into the other, it pinches the screen and holds it in place.

Back
Top Bottom