Crickets keep dying

Reptarmama

I’m having an issue with my crickets drowning. I have a mesh inclosure with a plastic bottom. My issue is they make their way to the bottom SO fast and die in the little puddles from misting. I’ve tried to cup feed him, but he refuses lol. I took mesh and tied it up like a net at the bottom so they don’t hit the water puddles. But, they find ONE crack and make it to the bottom and drown. Help!!! lol.

I have put paper towels on bottom to soak up excess water and I change them daily to avoid bacteria buildup. My cricket house I use a small peanut butter lid with a paper towel in too. I hope you find a solution

Having a feeding station will help with keeping your bugs contained. You really don’t want to leave any bugs uneaten in the enclosure overnight, especially crickets. Crickets will bite your chameleon while it sleeps. Those that don’t drown, won’t have any supplement left on them which your cham needs or any nutrition in it’s belly. There are several commercially available feeding stations. I like/use the shooting gallery https://tkchameleons.com/products/shooting-gallery?variant=30018608595032 and I’ve also made my own version of that. Then there’s this one. https://www.fullthrottlefeeders.com/feedercups These are just a couple. However, you could also just attach a tall deli cup securely to a branch in your enclosure. Your cham will find it and his feeders, which won’t be able to escape so easily.
Also, I do have to add that providing a variety of feeder insects is best for your chameleon. Crickets are ok, but adding more is better. Here’s a graphic on feeder choices. …and don’t forget to feed your buggies well so that they’ll be more nutritious for your chameleon. :)
81042518-6227-4485-96DE-8FB08DCB77B8.jpeg
BF7E3846-24D0-4BA6-9E75-43633BF13B33.jpeg

I was having the same issue, they would just either climb up the screen walls, sit still and clean themselves of all the supplement or fall into a small puddle and die.
I tried using a cup that I attached to the screen with floral wire so they don’t escape…but found that one of the crickets was eaten by the other?! Half his abdomen was gone. Is this a thing??? It was like a horror movie 😬

I’m going to look into a feeder run as well

I was having the same issue, they would just either climb up the screen walls, sit still and clean themselves of all the supplement or fall into a small puddle and die.
I tried using a cup that I attached to the screen with floral wire so they don’t escape…but found that one of the crickets was eaten by the other?! Half his abdomen was gone. Is this a thing??? It was like a horror movie 😬

I’m going to look into a feeder run as well
Crickets are nasty little creatures and I‘m not surprised that one ate the other.

Back
Top Bottom