How do you treat gular edema?

Chamlo

Almost certain that my cham has edema. I use repticalcium at every feeding. I feed every other day. On the first of each month I use calcium with d3 and on the third of each month I use multivitamin. After that I resume normal calcium. How can I make his edema go away?

There are many possible causes to edema. Many of us have invested a lot of time and money in to edema and its possible causes. You cant treat it if you dont know what is causing it. It could be true edema, which may be form some type of imbalance, infection or organ failure, it could be something other than edema such as fluid draining from an infection. Its just not easy and many of us still haven't solved it.

There are many possible causes to edema. Many of us have invested a lot of time and money in to edema and its possible causes. You cant treat it if you dont know what is causing it. It could be true edema, which may be form some type of imbalance, infection or organ failure, it could be something other than edema such as fluid draining from an infection. Its just not easy and many of us still haven't solved it.

Vet would be the best answer to find out then?

It's the first place to start to do some diagnostics like fluid analysis of the edema and bloodwork to look for organ dysfunction, although reptiles don't have the characteristic changes that mammals do on their bloodwork. There is almost no established data on gular edema in reptiles, and it seems to be over represented in chameleons versus other species. It is not specifically known why this build-up occurs but it is speculated to possibly be a symptom of mineral imbalance (possibly calcium) or an indication of liver or kidney disease. The best treatment in the experience of some is as much natural sunlight as possible, significantly increased hydration and ensuring adequate calcium supplementation with very limited phosphorus content in food to promote good kidney health. Sometimes the edema goes away with time, and sometimes it is permanent, but may fluctuate. Occasionally edema is seen with gravid females and it resolves once the eggs are laid. I've had several chameleons get gular edema - two I suspect was due to accidental excess vitamin A which went away over time with the suggestions mentioned above. Another was due to overwhelming kidney failure shortly before he died. I had a different senior chameleon die of kidney failure that never showed edema. We still don't know very much about it despite our best efforts.

It's the first place to start to do some diagnostics like fluid analysis of the edema and bloodwork to look for organ dysfunction, although reptiles don't have the characteristic changes that mammals do on their bloodwork. There is almost no established data on gular edema in reptiles, and it seems to be over represented in chameleons versus other species. It is not specifically known why this build-up occurs but it is speculated to possibly be a symptom of mineral imbalance (possibly calcium) or an indication of liver or kidney disease. The best treatment in the experience of some is as much natural sunlight as possible, significantly increased hydration and ensuring adequate calcium supplementation with very limited phosphorus content in food to promote good kidney health. Sometimes the edema goes away with time, and sometimes it is permanent, but may fluctuate. Occasionally edema is seen with gravid females and it resolves once the eggs are laid. I've had several chameleons get gular edema - two I suspect was due to accidental excess vitamin A which went away over time with the suggestions mentioned above. Another was due to overwhelming kidney failure shortly before he died. I had a different senior chameleon die of kidney failure that never showed edema. We still don't know very much about it despite our best efforts.

I do not believe it is an organ problem. He eats and drinks (as far as I know, he doesn't drink in front of me) fine. I would expect him to not eat if an internal problem was occurring. I will most likely take him to vet first, of course.

If only things were that straightforward. It would make my job easier!

You arent kidding. My boy has had edema for a long tome now. He gets lots of natural sunshine, drinks in front of me daily, eats a variety of well gutloaded feeders and is supplemented based on the suggested guide. His fecal and blood work are normal. Its not so straight forward. And his edema is significant.

Back
Top Bottom