Edema

Beppo

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have come to realise that Jeb has Edema, I was reading that I should figure out which supplement is causing it and remove that until it clears up. I am a little confused on how to figure that out, but I would assume it is the d3 (reptivite) and that I should only use plain calcium until it clear up? Other then the neck swelling are there other signs and symptoms I need to look for that indicate a vet visit may be in order?

Thank you in advance for any guidance moving forward.

Sometimes the edema can even be caused by things you use in feeding or gut loading the insects….so look at that as well as the supplements.

Sometimes the edema can even be caused by things you use in feeding or gut loading the insects….so look at that as well as the supplements.
Ok, thank you. I have been using a mix of bee pollen and spirula , I will stop that as well.

What exactly are your supplements? Are you mixing bee pollen in directly to the supplements?

I use reptivite d3 and repcal calcium. Additionally I’ve been using a gutload mix.
image.jpg

I am not mixing it into my supplements, I’m just mixing into the gutload. I will add that I only started using the gutload a few months ago, before that I was only sprinkling bee pollen on the veggies… I think it’s the bee pollen… I just took this photo, I could try to get some more later? But I have noticed even his casque seems swollen would Edema cause that or is that over feeding? I have been feeding him 3-5 feeder (silkworms, grasshoppers, bsfl, Dubia, and treat bugs on a monthly occasion) so I don’t feel like I’m over feeding him.

Attachments

• IMG_7093.jpeg
    IMG_7093.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7092.jpeg
    IMG_7092.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 10
I am not mixing it into my supplements, I’m just mixing into the gutload. I will add that I only started using the gutload a few months ago, before that I was only sprinkling bee pollen on the veggies… I think it’s the bee pollen… I just took this photo, I could try to get some more later? But I have noticed even his casque seems swollen would Edema cause that or is that over feeding? I have been feeding him 3-5 feeder (silkworms, grasshoppers, bsfl, Dubia, and treat bugs on a monthly occasion) so I don’t feel like I’m over feeding him.
Drop the gutload go back to fresh so you know exactly what is going into the insects. And drop the reptivite and get repashy Calcium plus LoD. Wait a month before giving the multivitamin.

Are you feeding him everyday? How old is he now?

ok thank you so much for your help.
He is just a couple months away from being two. I feed him every other day.

ok thank you so much for your help.
He is just a couple months away from being two. I feed him every other day.
So from these pics he looks a bit heavy with the casque and cheeks. Look at prior pics and see if it was that full or if this is linked with the edema he is showing.

It may have nothing to do with the reptivite but I prefer repashy due to it not having the phosphorus levels. Reptivite has phosphorus. And since the idea is to use phosphorus free calcium without D3 when we supplement to balance the phosphorus level of our insects it never made sense to me to add something with phosphorus.

So from these pics he looks a bit heavy with the casque and cheeks. Look at prior pics and see if it was that full or if this is linked with the edema he is showing.

It may have nothing to do with the reptivite but I prefer repashy due to it not having the phosphorus levels. Reptivite has phosphorus. And since the idea is to use phosphorus free calcium without D3 when we supplement to balance the phosphorus level of our insects it never made sense to me to add something with phosphorus.
Ok. That makes sense. I did look back and he was not full like this. I ordered the repashy, I was using it before until someone told me it can cause Edema 🤣.

Ok. That makes sense. I did look back and he was not full like this. I ordered the repashy, I was using it before until someone told me it can cause Edema 🤣.
LOL... Ok so here is the thing... Edema is essentially an imbalance in the body. I dealt with it with Beman like 3 years back. His was from Bee pollen given orally and in his gutload. I pulled him off all of it. At the time he was on arcadia supplements as well and they too add bee pollen. One of those too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing with all the ways he was getting it. At that time I switched him to all repashy. Their NoD for plain calcium and then the repashy calcium plus LoD. He has not had any issues since then.

The thing is we still do not know how things impact them. Females can be very prone to edema when they are gravid. Does not mean it is supplements causing their issues. But again we pull off multivitamins to ensure it is not the cause. Some chams can have issues with reptivite but no issues with repashy. Again these supplements are not created the same with the same levels either.

All in all there is not one right supplement it just ends up being what is right for your cham. But I find going to basics tends to be safer. I use repashy bug burger to gutload as well with a very small amount of arcadia insect fuel mixed in. I go with proven been around for a while stuff though lol. I used to blend down his gutload all fresh and then I got lazy... doing this when I had 3 chams made more sense to me because I had so many dang bugs to feed. But with Beman only eating 2 days a week 3-4 feeders you can imagine how few bugs I keep now.

ok. I understand now. I really really strongly feel like it’s the bee pollen but it’s just a hunch. Thank you for helping me narrow things down and all your insight. I think I will also order the repashy calcium.

Back
Top Bottom