How do you test your UVB light bulbs??

happiness

I'm a little confused with this meter I purchased. I'm not sure when a UVB bulb is ready to be pitched.

If the reading is under 18-20 from 12" down its bad? What if the UVB bulb is closer like 6" away and gives off a higher reading?

For example, I took the UVB bulb that sits about 4" away from my veiled chameleon and set it on my table. When I aimed the solarmeter at the bulb from 12 inches away, it read only 8 uw/cm2! :eek: but being 4" away, it reads about 20-25. Does this mean the bulb is bad?? Or is it still good since I have it a lot closer than 12 inches away from the veiled?

Those readings are both low and you also have to remember that you will lose even more through the screen top of the cage.

You want to provide different levels within your cage so they can determine the amount of UVB to pick up. So you want a level that is higher readings aka closer to the bulb (6-8") and a level that is lower readings aka farther from the bulb (10-12").

What bulb do you currently have and also was type of fixture?

Those readings are both low and you also have to remember that you will lose even more through the screen top of the cage.

You want to provide different levels within your cage so they can determine the amount of UVB to pick up. So you want a level that is higher readings aka closer to the bulb (6-8") and a level that is lower readings aka farther from the bulb (10-12").

What bulb do you currently have and also was type of fixture?

The one I checked was a regular 5.0 reptisun bulb with a regular (not sure what they're called) fixture. The one that isn't a tube. The only tube fixture I have is setup on my panther males cage.

I thought tube fixtures had to be 12 inches away from the cage? I checked the UVB on my tube acardia UVB bulb (or however its spelled I can't remember) and 10 inches away was about 30-38 through the cage. I have it hanging above the cage about 10 inches from the branch the male can climb onto. Do I have the light hanging too far away?

The sounds right than. The compact UVB are no where near as strong as the tube and that is why I don't recommend using them.

The distance is all dependent on your bulb, fixture and your enclosure. There is not just one answer for everything. It sounds like your tube setup is fine but I would also give him a branch that he could get a little closer if he wanted too. Somewhere in the 50-60 range.

Back
Top Bottom