Defective UVB bulb?

Mom Rules3

I am setting up my enclosure and my solarmeter 6.5 came today. I have an arcadia 39w 6% UVB T5 HO in a Nanotech Sunblaster reflector. Here are my Solarmeter readings...
touching the bulb - 34
directly under the screen with bulb 1/4 inch above it- 14
3" below screen - 3.1
6" below screen- 1.3
12" below-.5
These seem much lower than they should be? The reflector is not a Pro- could this make that much difference?
SO glad I got the Solarmeter before the chameleon!

I am setting up my enclosure and my solarmeter 6.5 came today. I have an arcadia 39w 6% UVB T5 HO in a Nanotech Sunblaster reflector. Here are my Solarmeter readings...
touching the bulb - 34
directly under the screen with bulb 1/4 inch above it- 14
3" below screen - 3.1
6" below screen- 1.3
12" below-.5
These seem much lower than they should be? The reflector is not a Pro- could this make that much difference?
SO glad I got the Solarmeter before the chameleon!
what material is your top screen panel?

Metal. With no screen it is 4.1 when I take a reading 3" below the light.
Is it the standard aluminum screen that they make the screen cages out of or did you use something else?

Your numbers sound right until you start moving away from it. My numbers are a bit higher at the bulb below the screen. I get a UVI 3.0 at 8 inches down. This is why I am asking about the screen specifically.

It is a Reptizoo knockdown hybrid. It just says "metal". I'll ask them...
Do me a favor and test your bulb not through the screen.

Comparing it to this without screen measurements to get UVI level. Should be close to these numbers if the bulb is functioning correctly. Might be a bit higher since you are running a newer bulb.
UVI 6 = 6"

UVI 3 = 10.5"

UVI 1 = 21"

UVI 2 =6"
UVI .8 = 10.5"
UVI .2 = 21"

sigh. Thank you, Beman!!!
And this was measured directly from the bulb without screen farther towards the middle of the bulb after it had been on for at least an hour right?

Is your reflector the right side out?

If so then you have 1 of 2 things possible here. The bulb or the fixture. Best way to test this is to buy another bulb. If you get those numbers I gave you or right about that without screen then your measurements on screen should produce a UVI 3 at 8-9 inches down. If you do not get those numbers I gave you without screen with the new bulb then there is an issue with your sunblaster fixture. There was an issue a while back where they installed some of the reflectors upside down.

Lets try another experiment, what does your meter say when you walk out side on a sunny day at noon? It should read 6-7. Even cloudy should be around 3.

I wonder if your sensor is just really deep and you have to have your aim spot on to get a good reading. Or you have one of the rare Nanotech Sunblaster reflector that has the reflector installed backwards, and you need to flip to the correct foil side.

Yes, those readings were not through the screen.

I took a reading outside at about 3 pm , just pointing it straight ahead, not at the sun, and it was 1...but we are in Canada, and it was slightly cloudy. If we get a nice day tomorrow I'll check it. Right now reads 0 outside. It is 5:30 pm with heavy cloud...but it is still daylight. ???

The reflector is black on the outside and silver on the inside so pretty sure it's right. Printing is on the outside.

We are changing the battery in the Sensormeter to see if that helps.

Yes, those readings were not through the screen.

I took a reading outside at about 3 pm , just pointing it straight ahead, not at the sun, and it was 1...but we are in Canada, and it was slightly cloudy. If we get a nice day tomorrow I'll check it. Right now reads 0 outside. It is 5:30 pm with heavy cloud...but it is still daylight. ???

The reflector is black on the outside and silver on the inside so pretty sure it's right. Printing is on the outside.

We are changing the battery in the Sensormeter to see if that helps.
the actual mirror reflector is a removable part instructions should have came with the unit it is a thin mirrored panel. Mine has a arrow printed on it near edge to show where to lift it out of the curved housing. There also might be a thin protective film on it to protect mirror this needs to come off.
IMG_20221017_164824_hdr_kindlephoto-74236675.jpg

Last edited:
the actual mirror reflector is a removable part instructions should have came with the unit it is a thin mirrored panel. Mine has a arrow printed on it near edge to show where to lift it out of the curved housing. There also might be a thin protective film on it to protect mirror this needs to come off.View attachment 330378
Mine had a blue protective film on it which I removed. It is mirrored underneath. But, although it is a Nanotech T5 Reflector by SUnblaster it is not the PRO one and it was designed for horticultural use. It doesn't quite cover the bulb. It is 39 watt high output full spectrum but my guess is it isn't as good for our purposes, or at least isn't as reflective. Darn.

If you find his other report, he talks about flipping the reflector. Something about both sides are shinny, but one side has a clear antiscratch/protecting coating that drastically reduces uVB
Mine is just black on one side and silver on the other. Think I will just order the Pro kit for reptiles - then if it is either the bulb or the reflector I should be ok. I'll use this reflector with a plant bulb for the plants. Thanks for your help!

Mine is just black on one side and silver on the other. Think I will just order the Pro kit for reptiles - then if it is either the bulb or the reflector I should be ok. I'll use this reflector with a plant bulb for the plants. Thanks for your help!
Never seen a reflector with a black on one side silver on the other. Learning something new today. When I received my sunblaster T5HO fixture reflector didn't come with it. Sold separately is what box said.😞

Back
Top Bottom