How do you keep crickets from jumping out of the feeding cup?

stepho

the title pretty much says it all. I haven't been utilizing a feeding cup yet, but I am interested. It seems like the crickets could just jump out though?

Pull off the back legs? Seems like a lot of work lol

I feed crix out of a small dish very few have jumped out surprisingly ,just give em fruits vegs and they can munch before getting zapped. I used to fridge my crix before feeding for about 5 mins and they're pretty much dormant or whatever and don't move til they warmed up.

when you dust your crickets shake them (not hard) enough to startle them, so when they are in the cup they are dazed and confused. most will chose not to jump after that.
and let the games begin!

they usually don't utilize their legs unless they are scared and have to get away quick, so they rarely ever jump out.. for me, most of the time when i first put them in they try to jump out, but only a few, and I just put them back in.. but if you put them in a little plastic jug, like a naked jug (i'd say those are a good size) or if you want to have a bigger one in your cage, use a small milk jug and just cut a hole in the side of it and put a piece of cardboard on the back part of it, where they can't climb out.. your cham will see them climbing and go right after them. Lately, I have just been putting them into a cream cheese container, or one of that size, and just put them in there hooked to some of the branches with wire.. they'll never really get out, if its tall enough that is.

thanks for the replies guys. I think i am going to start utilizing one, so hopefully the chameleon will associate me with food and be a little more comfortable with me around the cage.

It takes time especially to get used to their new enclosure. I tried to leave my cham alone for a couple weeks( its hard for new owners which I still am) and cared for her, then tried hand feeding with treats.. not interested okay ill try again tomorrow. Hope this helps good luck!! My feeding dish is a 6inch water catcher thing for potted plants got a six pack at dollar tree a Tupperware will work too and put it in the cage where accesable and can be seen:) good luck man!

dust them , then put the cup (with a lid) in the fridge for 2 minutes. They will look "dead" when you take them out. They will become active in about 4-5 minutes after being at room temp. Then your Cham/s can pick them off while they are sluggish

If your cham is big enough to eat large crickets hold them by thier whistle maker and hand feed them

I actually don't prevent mine from jumping out of the feeding cups. All my chams will hunt when they jump out and the movement gets them going. I just have the cups there so I have a place to put the feeders vs just throwing it in. Keeps them off the ground bc usually they head straight for the top for the heat. Just my 2 cents

Day one of using the cup and my guy seemed to really like it. Immediately went to the cup and sucked them all up before they could think about moving. I didn't bother with the fridge as they looked pretty stunned after the dusting.

I actually don't prevent mine from jumping out of the feeding cups. All my chams will hunt when they jump out and the movement gets them going. I just have the cups there so I have a place to put the feeders vs just throwing it in. Keeps them off the ground bc usually they head straight for the top for the heat. Just my 2 cents

I guess I won't worry about them jumping out then. I try to give him some moths or little dragonflies for hunting enjoyment, but I just got him so I am trying to make sure he gets enough to eat. My cage is really crappy so I wasn't sure if crickets were escaping before he ate them all.

Show by example the one that jumps out first u remove his hind legs put him back in the cup ,the others will c and the won't jump out cuz they are scared.:) just Kidd, I use medium crix and the jumpers I remove their back legs .or free range ur Crix so ur cham hunts and exercises.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA one jumped out and tried to run for it. My chameleon mopped up the ones in the cup then chased him down.

Back
Top Bottom