How do you keep cool?

chameeeleon

I know it's winter right now, but for those of you who keep Jackson's or other montane species, how do you keep them cool in the summertime? It's usually around 80°F, but no more than 83°F (which I read is about the basking temp of a Jackson's) during the day in summer INSIDE my house. At night, there's a cool breeze, so we open windows and get into the lower 70s, but that's still quite warm.
Do cool mist humidifiers help keep the temps down?
What methods do you use to manage temps?

I don't have a chameleon... yet :) ... But I'm trying to decide which type of chameleon would live well in my home. A Veiled probably would, but I'm trying to find a smaller species because for the same amount of money, I could provide it with more "luxuries" (for example $100 could get a 2x2x4 ft enclosure, which is normal for a Veiled, but it's practically a mansion for a smaller cham, if that makes sense)

To keep them cool during the summer time I have mine outdoors in heavily planted 6' enclosures that have bare earth bottoms and misters that go on during the day.

I am in Southern Ca and we get some scorchers during the summer, but shade + mist = happy chameleon.

To keep them cool during the summer time I have mine outdoors in heavily planted 6' enclosures that have bare earth bottoms and misters that go on during the day.

I am in Southern Ca and we get some scorchers during the summer, but shade + mist = happy chameleon.

Add air movement. Air moving across wet surfaces=evaporative cooling.

Back
Top Bottom