how do you guys set up branches in your cages?

AlexG92

im currently re furnishing my 4x2x2 enclosure and i have a whole bunch of sand blasted branches as well as some "wc";) branches. i have no idea what to do with them so my adult veiled can bask and climb on them. i dont want to lean the heavy branches against the cage and damage the screen.... so id really appreciate pictures and advice on how you or how you might suggest i can get my wood to stand up on its own.

if you run them horizontally then you can cut them to size to fit and then attach them with push pins from the outside through the screen. works great and holds tight! Vertically you can insert into the soil in your plant or plants(if you have live plants) and they will be supported from the dirt. Lean them on the screen and where you have them intersecting here and there attach with twist ties.

If you want a bare floor, most screen cages come with a white plastic bottom. Cut the end of the branch at a flat angle you like and then drill screws through the white bottom into the bottoms of the branches.

You could lean a branch from one of the front lower corners to the opposite corner in the back. As long as the branches aren't really heavy they can be attached to the screen with coated metal twist-ties. Aluminum screen can support a lot more weight than you would think.

Another thing you could do if the branch has a nice flat cut to it would be screw it onto a large tile on the bottom of the cage.

use fishing string and tie the branches to it. then thread the other side of the line through the screen on top and to a popsicle stick or other small piece of wood. the popsicle stick will stop the screen from having to much pressure on any on spot and it will hang perfect. this is pending the branches are not to heavy. i have my feed dish done this way. i can send pics tmw but my cham is sleeping.

i used metal paper clips that i have stretched out and bent...same idea as a twist tie basically..now i use fishing line..virtually invisible and very strong.

My husband cuts the branches the same width as the cage and then thumb tacks them in.

babiesnewcage002.jpg

babiesnewcage001.jpg

babiesnewcage005.jpg

i ended up zip tying all my branches to one main log. The zip ties are ugly and dont hold everything together as well as i am satisfied with so im taking it apart.wow all great suggestions! i might have to use a combination of all of them haha thanks everyone!:D

if u are old enough to know about the "rock plants" that wire is nice. on the cage now i used zipties and paper clips and the rockplant wire. u can get the wire in a craft store. its as thin as fishing line and in just about any color u want so u can match the branch or whatever. i got some from a rock shop many many years ago, 1k wires 18 1/2 inches long for 75 cents.

just dont do what i did and push large zipties though the screen and then change your mind a few days later and make new holes. then a week later change over to all live plants and a few vines cuz i didnt want to make more holes to fill in with twist ties

but on the plus i am almost done with the cage i am making. 29''x38''x72''
i will post pics when i am done.
stupid petstore.. i fell for thier "advice" and got a 12''x12''x18'' glass 80$ they said would be fine his hole life. then i got a 24''x24''x36'' screen 85$
and so far the one i am makeing 40$ just need to stain it and put the screen on

the first picture is kinda blurry but basically it is the fishing sting tied to a small branch i broke off. the wood displaces the weight, could work with heavier branches with a larger piece of wood or plastic, ect.

Back
Top Bottom