How do I lower overnight humidity?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200808_205456_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200808_205456_com.android.chrome.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 71
Just one thing confuses me on that page. Says to use a fogger to increase humidity. I don't need to increase my over night humidity as its in the 90% range! Also says a moving the air, but as was pointed out to me on here, I'm using an exo terra mesh lid. Do you foresee any problems for me please?

Just one thing confuses me on that page. Says to use a fogger to increase humidity. I don't need to increase my over night humidity as its in the 90% range! Also says a moving the air, but as was pointed out to me on here, I'm using an exo terra mesh lid. Do you foresee any problems for me please?
It may be due to your house humidity. uk himidity is high. If its in 90's then you prob don't need a fogger. I sometimes give my chams a long mist right before bed and there humidity goes up and when I wake up its still 60-70%

Night-mists are a good alternative to buying a fogger

It may be due to your house humidity. uk himidity is high. If its in 90's then you prob don't need a fogger. I sometimes give my chams a long mist right before bed and there humidity goes up and when I wake up its still 60-70%

Night-mists are a good alternative to buying a fogger
I’ve been wondering about night misting before. I don’t have the money atm to invest in a fogger but people always recommend foggers, so I assumed misting at night could be bad. Are there any downsides?

Hi there
My humidity is sitting at 81% at 2am. I think that's a good figure and that I don't need to mist. Would you agree?

I’ve been wondering about night misting before. I don’t have the money atm to invest in a fogger but people always recommend foggers, so I assumed misting at night could be bad. Are there any downsides?
not thati've encountered so far, other keepers may have different expiriences.

Right now you see I have 1 fogger and 3 chameleons. 1 is a baby and imo you shouldn't fog babies because their lungs are smaller.
I actally often fog my veiled, probably 2 in 3 days and she is in a glass cage which is soooo good for fogging.
My panther is in a screen cage which dosent fog up well at all although some keppers insulate it at night. That seems like too much of a hassle to me so I usually just mist his cage like just before bedtime.
The humidity IME sits better from the misting than fogging in a screen cage. I have lots of plants in his cgae so the humidity goes higher for a longer amount of time. When I mist It goes 80-100% and thenwhen I wake up its still 60-70%.

Hope this helps. You can try to fog with screen cage but IME it barely fogs up without insulation

Hi there
My humidity is sitting at 81% at 2am. I think that's a good figure and that I don't need to mist. Would you agree?
I would aim for as close to 100% as you can. In the wild, They sit in dense fog(100%) all night. even though it is 80, probably still mist but it wouldn't hurt so much not to.

Cheers for the update buddy. Mine sat around 24°C and 80% overnight. I think that's acceptable. What would you say? From memory my smaller viv sat at 99% overnight. The new viv is double the size, don't know if that would lower it slightly.
From the posts yesterday, I was upset, as it looked at one point, that my bad husbandry, could have caused Hammys untimely death. I know that isn't the case, even though the humidity was in the 90%+ range. Im just hoping everything will be OK for Figaro on Thursday.

Cheers for the update buddy. Mine sat around 24°C and 80% overnight. I think that's acceptable. What would you say? From memory my smaller viv sat at 99% overnight. The new viv is double the size, don't know if that would lower it slightly.
From the posts yesterday, I was upset, as it looked at one point, that my bad husbandry, could have caused Hammys untimely death. I know that isn't the case, even though the humidity was in the 90%+ range. Im just hoping everything will be OK for Figaro on Thursday.
can you please fill out the form because IF there IS an issue with the husbandry, its better to fix it BEFORE he arrives rather than AFTER. because by then it could be too late.

please copy and paste this and fill it out. This is for Figaro. There might be something on the form that is n/a.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Veiled, male, approx 6mths
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon
  • At least twice daily
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Grasshoppers and crickets
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Komodo Nutri-Cal every other day
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Mist around three or four times a day with tap water plus reptisafe. Never seen him drinking of plants, occasionally from a feeder bottle by hand
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • Faeces are always firm with white or off white urates. Never tested for parasites
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • Nothing springs to mind
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Exo Terro 45x45x60 glass mesh lid
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • UVB Arcadia T5 on 12hrs daily
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Daytime temp around 24°C measured by probe inside the vivarium opposite end of basking bulb 100w ceramic. I rarely used it as temps were usually mid 20s.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Dual temp hygrometer. Levels were between mid 50s to 99% around midnight. Buying new guages for better accuracy
  • Pothos, spider, succulents, umbrella
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Bedroom not near fan, air vents, traffic. Height from floor to top of viv approx 4.5ft
  • Enniskillen in N Ireland

• Veiled, male, approx 6mths
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon
  • At least twice daily
  • Grasshoppers and crickets
  • Komodo Nutri-Cal every other day
  • Mist around three or four times a day with tap water plus reptisafe. Never seen him drinking of plants, occasionally from a feeder bottle by hand
  • Faeces are always firm with white or off white urates. Never tested for parasites
  • Nothing springs to mind
Cage Info:
  • Exo Terro 45x45x60 glass mesh lid
  • UVB Arcadia T5 on 12hrs daily
  • Daytime temp around 24°C measured by probe inside the vivarium opposite end of basking bulb 100w ceramic. I rarely used it as temps were usually mid 20s.
  • Dual temp hygrometer. Levels were between mid 50s to 99% around midnight. Buying new guages for better accuracy
  • Pothos, spider, succulents, umbrella
  • Bedroom not near fan, air vents, traffic. Height from floor to top of viv approx 4.5ft
  • Enniskillen in N Ireland

Hammy loved to sit on my bedroom windowsill for an hour or two somedays esp if the sun was out.

In the end, Hammy only ate crickets and grasshoppers. I tried to phase the crickets out as the escapees chirped all night and drove me insane. It got to the point it was depressing me. I'd to reintroduce them as he wasn't eating the following feeder insects:

Banana, red runner and dubia roaches
Snails
Silk, wax, calci & meal worms

I tried my best to give him the best nutrition, alas he wasnt interested. Nor did he ever eat fruit or vegetables.

With the 100w ceramic light the temp rose to around 30°C. Hammy was around ten inches below it.

Back
Top Bottom