How do I keep my feeders safe for a month?

Hello, I just received 50 super worms and 100 Dubia Roaches from Josh's frogs. I put them in an outdoor refrigerator because I don't want my room or my house, in general, to smell like anything bug related (bugs, bug poop, bug oats, bug... etc.) Every mourning I'm feeding them fresh fruits and vegetables. How long can they stay in the fridge until I should take them out to officially heat up?

Also, as it turns out my Chameleon will not arrive for another month (on August 20th) Can these bugs live that long or should I just dispose of them in the far...far... far...far... woods behind my house?

Thank you.

Hello, I just received 50 super worms and 100 Dubia Roaches from Josh's frogs. I put them in an outdoor refrigerator because I don't want my room or my house, in general, to smell like anything bug related (bugs, bug poop, bug oats, bug... etc.) Every mourning I'm feeding them fresh fruits and vegetables. How long can they stay in the fridge until I should take them out to officially heat up?

Also, as it turns out my Chameleon will not arrive for another month (on August 20th) Can these bugs live that long or should I just dispose of them in the far...far... far...far... woods behind my house?

Thank you.
Just get a plastic box make 3 holes for air on top just so they can breathe and don’t get them in the fridge they will all freeze and die. Put some salad and carrots in. It will stink if you open it but you can place that box anywhere so when you open it for a second and take one bug to feed your cham it’s no big deal.

Thank you.
If you go back to Josh frogs website they will have care information on your feeders.

I say keep the Dubias and start a colony. Before you know it they’ll be making babies and you’ll always have feeders available. You could let the supers breed too, but I’ve no idea how to do that other than separate them from each other.

Just get a plastic box make 3 holes for air on top just so they can breathe and don’t get them in the fridge they will all freeze and die. Put some salad and carrots in. It will stink if you open it but you can place that box anywhere so when you open it for a second and take one bug to feed your cham it’s no big deal.
Thank you for your response. This was an absolute LIFESAVER. I just have two more questions regarding this.
1) Can I put Superworms and Dubia Roaches in the same box? Are they compatible?
2) When I poke these holes... do you recommend using a drill or a thumbtack?

I say keep the Dubias and start a colony. Before you know it they’ll be making babies and you’ll always have feeders available. You could let the supers breed too, but I’ve no idea how to do that other than separate them from each other.
Yes... I would love to do this. My brother is also getting a bearded dragon so this would be SUPER convenient. My only question is... how does one start a Dubia colony? Can you send me a link to a video of such information? Thank you and a great idea.

Thank you for your response. This was an absolute LIFESAVER. I just have two more questions regarding this.
1) Can I put Superworms and Dubia Roaches in the same box? Are they compatible?
2) When I poke these holes... do you recommend using a drill or a thumbtack?
I used a drill for holes just make them on tip so they cant get out. I kept superworms and dubias for some short period of time together and there was no problem but I’m jot sure. I keep my dubias and red runner roaches together now. Overall I think dubias are not aggressive like crickets or at all.

Thank you.
Neither requires refrigeration, and I've always read NOT to refrigerate super worms.
Also, neither smells unless something is wrong with the way they're being kept, in which case some action must be taken.

They do require some feeding. I drop in a baby carrot every few days, and that supplies all the food & moisture they need until gut loading time (a day or 2 before feeding them to your cham).

I've kept both for 3 months (and counting).

Yes... I would love to do this. My brother is also getting a bearded dragon so this would be SUPER convenient. My only question is... how does one start a Dubia colony? Can you send me a link to a video of such information? Thank you and a great idea.
There’s a lot of videos on YouTube, but it’s really super easy. Get a big clear plastic bin with a lid, put some eggcrate or cork bark in, roaches in and some food for them. Keep it in a warm place or attach a heat mat to the side...they breed best I think around 85*. No substrate is needed. The roaches will do their thing as nature dictates and make babies. Remove any old food so it doesn’t mold and add fresh every couple of days. They can get their moisture from their food if you feed fresh veggies and greens.

Back
Top Bottom