How do chams get sick?

Guardian

As I surf through the health posts I see many different issues with cham health. How does an apparently healthy cham develop all these different types of sickness? Are they born with this? I know all these things can't be a result of inconsistent cage cleanings. Enlighten me.
Thx
~~G

As I surf through the health posts I see many different issues with cham health. How does an apparently healthy cham develop all these different types of sickness? Are they born with this? I know all these things can't be a result of inconsistent cage cleanings. Enlighten me.
Thx
~~G

honestly, most (not all) of the sickness of chameleon in captivity can be traced back to the inability/ a lack of knowledge of its owner in providing a proper husbandry (such as correct lighting, temp, humidity, supplementation, etc).

What you've asked is a very general question... I'll try to provide a generalised answer.

Most of the illnesses/injuries that befall chameleons - especially the ones reported on these forums - are caused by improper husbandry, and would probably not be encountered by chameleons in the wild:
- MBD (and all its related complications): this is generally caused by inadequate exposure to UV light, improper supplementation, improper diet.
- URI: often caused by enclosures that are kept too wet, where bacteria can grow quite comfortably.
- Gout: due to improper diet and improper supplemention (usually too much supplementation or protein in the diet), possibly also due to inadequate temps for digestion.
- Conjunctivitis: cases have been reported recently of chams suffering eye problems and keeping their eyes closed due to using the compact (coiled) UVB bulbs.
- Heat burns: caused by placing heat lamps incorrectly, where chams can expose themselves to dangerously high temps and get burnt.
- Dehydration (and its resulting complications): although this could occur in the wild in cases of severe drought, I'm sure you'd agree that if a captive cham got dehydrated, it is probably the fault of the owner.
- Parasite infestations: chams in the wild often pick up parasites. In fact most WC chams come in with parasites. But if a CB cham that starts off clean of parasites eventually is infested by parasites, or contracts a bacterial infection, then it is usually due to unsanitary conditions in the cage or possibly through feeding infected WC feeder insects to the cham. If the parasite infestation gets bad enough that it causes serious health problems to the cham, then that is also owner negligence - fecal tests should be done regularly to pick up the presence of any possible parasites.
- Bacterial infections (other than URI): often caused by unsanitary conditions in the cage.

There are other injuries that befall chams that are not strictly the owner's fault, but can often be prevented by improved husbandry:
- Lost toenails: this is often caused by chams walking on fine metal screen. This can generally be avoided by using larger, PVC coated mesh, or fibreglass screen.
- Impaction/digestion problems: loose, uncovered soil/small rocks/bark or other substrates should not be kept in the cage where a cham can ingest them and possibly suffer an impaction. Also, only feeder insects of the appropriate size should be fed to chams. Too large insects can cause choking and impaction.

There are cases where chams are simply born with poor genetics or poor chances of survival. Females often lay large clutches of eggs, and not all the eggs are equally supplied with nutrients. Some of them don't form properly. Sometimes things go wrong with certain eggs during the incubation process. If these embryos make it through all these setbacks, they may hatch as chams born with inherent problems and slim chances of survival.
But these are the exceptions, rather than the norm when it comes to most of the health problems posted on these forums.

That's why it's so vital to study up and understand the husbandry requirements for chams before obtaining any. Even a perfectly born, genetically healthy cham doesn't stand a chance if the set up and husbandry practices are incorrect.

While I agree with alot of the things said in this post there are somethings Id like to add.

When it comes to dehydration as the saying goes "You can bring the horse to water but you cant make it drink". Sometimes like the hunger strike males will forget to drink, this was the situation with my mothers male chameleon once he reached 2 years old. My Vet said that this sometimes occurs in male chameleons.

Also I have had animals that I have purchased that were not feeling well or if gravid that would not drink. Even after a long shower they would not drink. In all the situations I would have to dropper feed them water.

In extreme situations I have gotten saline fluids from my doctors to inject in the Cham to keep it hydrated. You might have to accept if they dont want to drink they just wont do it and will probably pass away.

Parasite infestation If you dont keep your store bought feeders clean the animal can get parasites or coccidia from the feeders walking all in the feces. Make sure when you buy your feeders they are fresh, that the box of crickets doesnt smell like decay. Clean you bins regularly and throw away any rotting food. Same goes for worms clean the bedding once a week, you dont want them crawling around in poo.

:p

Last edited:
Howdy,

I may have missed it in an earlier post but...

Stress can often be found as a root cause of a suppressed immune system that then leads to an opportunistic bacterial/viral infection or some other illness.

A few stress related topics not in any particular order:
Enclosure location height
Room traffic
Lighting hours (Sleep pattern interruption)
Plant density (Seclusion)
Excessive handling
Other chameleons/animals visible
Other chameleons/animals in same enclosure

Back
Top Bottom