How do chameleons get all these nutrients in the wild?

They have a vast variety of plants and animals to ingest in the wild, we cannot hope to replicate even with all our pills and powders and potions.......:)
Also, they get more exercise in the wild.

There's so many different powders and diets and nutrients we're suppose to keep up with for our beloved chameleons but how do they hold up undomesticated and in the wild?

They have spent ages adapting to their environment with the nutrients that were and were not available. We are taking on quite the challenge to replicate that balance artificially with different feeders and feeder food and supplements.

In the wild they eat many different types of insects with a variety of innate nutrient makeups that eat many different types of plants full of a variety of different vitamins and nutrients. We confine them to a handful of feeders if they're lucky - most just get crickets - and fill the crickets with just a handful of food sources. We don't even come close to providing all the nutrients they would have in nature so we supplement to try to replicate what they would have if they were out in nature. They survive just fine - in fact better - without us. So when we interfere we have to take extra steps to try to provide just a fraction of what they would normally be getting.

There's so many different powders and diets and nutrients we're suppose to keep up with for our beloved chameleons but how do they hold up undomesticated and in the wild?

In the wild, they eat what they are supposed to eat.
In captivity, they dont. Hence our need to modify what we provide in an attempt to provide what they need, even though we're not really sure what they need.

people ask me the same thing when it comes to horses.
In the wild, ferral horses, alot of time do without all the nutrients we give them in captivity. They also most times live much shorter, harsher lives.
I would think this holds true for alot of chams in the wild. Even with the wide variety of feeders, I assume they arent getting the best nutrition, they just adapt, their lives are shorter, probably harsher as well. We all have spoken about parasites, and how "rough" wc chams are when they come in. Some of that is the shipping process though

people ask me the same thing when it comes to horses.
In the wild, ferral horses, alot of time do without all the nutrients we give them in captivity. They also most times live much shorter, harsher lives.
I would think this holds true for alot of chams in the wild. Even with the wide variety of feeders, I assume they arent getting the best nutrition, they just adapt, their lives are shorter, probably harsher as well. We all have spoken about parasites, and how "rough" wc chams are when they come in. Some of that is the shipping process though

Dont forget the sun! Lots of nutrients comes from the sun.
Two very good points - nature is harsh, and the Chams in the wild will often be hungry (and most of the exercise I mentioned involves fighting for it's life or a mate). Chams in the wild live fast and die young, leaving loads of babies.......
And you can never underestimate The Sun :cool:, lol

Back
Top Bottom