How did YOU get into chameleon keeping?

My goodness, this is a funny thread! I had been wanting to get a chameleon for a while, and at the time it seemed like a good time to do it. But, research went wacky and spent way more money fixing than in the first place. But, it was SOOO worth it!!!!!!
IOW, "It seemed like a good idea at the time." :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ren And Stimpy Reaction GIF by NickRewind

So, although the wheel was mostly perfected back when I was growing up, I do remember the first time I saw a couple chameleons in a local pet shop for the first time. I had quite a few pets at the time, but always dreamed of having an “ Old World” chameleon. They were not colorful, and I think they were Senegal Chameleons, but I’m not sure. I just stared at the two of them in their 5 gallon tank. I was in awe. I had seen all sorts of exotic lizards due to my best friend’s father’s collection, but these were unreal. I always had it in the back of my mind that I wanted to keep them. I visited that store for months until one day they were gone.

Fast forward to the time of Google and self driving cars 🤪 and I had a 20 gallon long terrarium that I wanted to add some small lizards to. Long story even longer… I spotted a tiny veiled chameleon stressed out by a larger one at the local pet store. I just knew I had to do something. So, I “rescued” the little guy. I found the Chameleon Forums soon after and the legend of Zaphod was born 🦎. Within a day of reading threads here and one new thread about my new boy, the rest is history.

I know this, I am addicted to these amazing animals, and yes, the Chameleon Forums 💚

All right… here’s my story.

Ever since I was little, I loved reptiles and birds. Unfortunately for me, my mom hated birds and my dad hated reptiles.

Fast forward to middle school. I meet the outdoor Ed teacher, who just happens to be a panther breeder, with experience in leopard geckos, tarantulas, melleri, carpet chams, and I don’t even know what else. He brings a 3-week-old cham to school one day, and I’m in love.

So here I am, looking for an opportunity.

This comes in the form of a work trip for my dad. A week in China. Perfect, younger me thinks, the only thing stopping me from getting a cham is on the other side of the globe.

I talk to my mom, tell her how I’ll keep my room clean.

The day after dad leaves, I go to the teacher. After a bit of conversation, he lets me take a little cham home for the day. My mom immediately falls in love with the lil guy, and it is determined that he stays. I bring him back the next day, and make arrangements to keep him.

Fast forward a year

Leo is doing well, dad is accepting that we now have a family reptile. I have successfully proven that
a) I can take care of a chameleon
b) said chameleon does not, in fact, stink
c) my room is much cleaner, and I am happier with a chameleon

So, being really careful, I ask, stressing how I’ll keep my room
clean.

Dad says fine

Next week I meet my teacher and take home a female cham, as he is downsizing.

Seven months later, here I am with 14 baby chams, 2 adults, five frogs, a toad, a cockatiel, and a tiger salamander.

My room is now the cleanest it has ever been.

Back
Top Bottom