How did YOU get into chameleon keeping?

Back, just after the wheel was invented, in the 80's, I saw a chameleon in a pet store and bought it. She was lucky that I got the husbandry somewhat right. Of course she was WC and a young adult. After I bought her and started asking pet stores about keeping her, I was told she'd likely only live a couple of weeks...but she was with me for a couple of years. Nobody would order another one in for me because they kept dying on them...but eventually I found someone who would order one for me as long as I took it no matter what condition it came in in. I don't know what species she was ...but she was awesome and I did order another chameleon! Just kept on after that with many species of chameleons and other reptiles.

Was looking into snakes but my dad said absolutely not so I was looking into “easy” reptiles and some how a chameleon showed up in that search 😂 no clue y bc they are the opposite… anyways I asked my dad if we could go look at chameleons he said yea after my uncle leaves (he came to stay and week and visit) that week ends I forgot about chameleons a month later I see chameleons on my recommended on yt and I research a lot about them watched most of Neptune’s videos (some how still got my first cage wrong) and a week later I saved and convinced my 4 siblings to split the cost ( hehehe lowered the cost quite a bit when u split it) and we bought one on fathers dad no clue how I convinced my parents.

How about you? @Thatcher
alright ahem... prepare to be amazed... I was cutting the grass and in the middle of doing it I stopped and realized I wanted a side kick! so i went on Petco's website and looked around, then I saw a chameleon! I thought, they change color! cool! so I researched because when I'm interested in something i obsess over it an its all i talk about. I then found neptune the chameleon ad downloaded all of her vids and watched them in one night and then bought the enclosure and all and went to frams chams and bought my chameleon.

alright ahem... prepare to be amazed... I was cutting the grass and in the middle of doing it I stopped and realized I wanted a side kick! so i went on Petco's website and looked around, then I saw a chameleon! I thought, they change color! cool! so I researched because when I'm interested in something i obsess over it an its all i talk about. I then found neptune the chameleon ad downloaded all of her vids and watched them in one night and then bought the enclosure and all and went to frams chams and bought my chameleon.
Same here when I’m interested in something it’s all I do research watch talk about 😂

She was a semi-impulse buy. I had wanted a chameleon for years. I thought they were the coolest little dinosaurs and I loved the idea of having a little rainforest setup in my house. My good friend works at Petco and I was there visiting her. I saw this beautiful female panther and as I walked by she stared at me and followed me (because she wanted out of her tiny enclosure.) My friend let me hold her and I felt those tiny adorable little mits on my arm and thought she was a sweet heart. My friend said I should take her because her store didn't have the best care for chameleons. I said I had to go home and think about it. I went home and two hours later I was back in the store and got Mona. That night I found these forums and spent the next week building her a proper enclosure.

They still carry chameleons but she got them to stop carrying Jackson's as they came pregnant two times and had little little Jackson babies. Thankfully both times I was able to come here and find homes for the babies.

Back, just after the wheel was invented,
This actually reminded me of my 4th grade teacher, who began a history lesson once with, "Back during the Civil War, when I was a girl...."

I've never forgotten it. She wasn't really that old (not like kinyonga :p ) and I ran into her 30 years later. Unfortunately, she didn't remember it (or me), but didn't doubt it either!

Back
Top Bottom