how cold can my dubias get?

armando

hello!
So..I have a question here....
I keep my dubias outside my house, in a plastic bin. I live in a fairly "warm" place (close to Tucson Arizona, but much warmer during the winter)... the coldest it gets should be around 41F, during january... right now my temps during the day are 95F and 62.6F during the nights.
my question is... how cold can my dubias get outside??
I dont really mind they dont breed, I have many of them, and also many other feeders, so.. breeding is not a problem. I just dont want them to die.
Thanks a lot for all your help :)

I'm wondering this too. I keep mine outside and it is dipping down to 40 these days and they seem to be fine, though I do have a heatpad going 24/7.

I would suggest taking them inside during night. Or wrap their bin in some sort of blanket at night :rolleyes:

I brought mine inside as I want them to breed. They're still near the patio door though, so it's not that warm. Bought a flex wire blanket and placed that under the rubbermaid box in one corner. Put a big piece of cardboard between tape mat and carpet. Put eggcrates in that corner too. The temp down on the floor is 90 and they are in heaven! Rest of the tub isn't that warm, but the food etc is in the cool end. Happy with it so far, and looking forward to some babies in the next few months.
I like the way the tiny ones sit in the eggcrate cups and the adults sit on top. I like to think they're keeping them warm, LOL!

Mine have been in the 50s without heat and none seemed to die off. They stopped moving though. I would just bring them in at night or wrap them up. If you have a garage or shed, putting them in there should be fine. If you get a heating pad they should be fine though.

I got a question. Is it suggested to keep the same temperature with heat cable/heat tab even during night? Or is the 12/12 hours cycle fine for them?

I would think some type of temperature fluctuation would be OK. Even in nature temps don't remain constant through out the day, I don't think. And if your not interested in breeding I imagine the temp fluctuations could be even greater.

Back
Top Bottom