How can you tell if your panther is gravid or not?

This is the gravid coloration of my female ambilobe :D

IMG_1407.jpg

I have seen them show that coloration within days, maybe 1 week. But yes, after mating they, as far as i know, look like that and show that coloration.

thanks,
Jake

How long has it been since the chameleon mated? If a chameleon was bred and it wasnt showing its gravid coloration, i would still assume it is gravid, and give it an area to lay eggs. The worst thing that happens then is that your chameleon isnt pregnant, and you try again.

Thanks,
Jake

I mated her last week and she very light in color and she still is. Do female chams always need a place to lay eggs?

Let her see the male. I've had some females that didn't really turn that dark until in the presence of a male. If he starts doing his head bobs and she does not turn dark like that, you can let them breed again.

panther21 asked..."well if they dont show it does that mean they are not gravid?"....sometimes if they will go back to their non-gravid coloration. I think its because they don't need to show gravid coloration unless there is "someone" to tell...its a warning to say they are already gravid, so stay away.

You asked..."Do female chams always need a place to lay eggs?"...I always provide a nesting site for all my egglaying sexually mature females. That way they have a place to start to dig to show you that they need to lay eggs. If you don't provide a place all the time, you may miss the sometimes subtle signs that they are ready to lay eggs and that leads to eggbinding and death.

I think its because they don't need to show gravid coloration unless there is "someone" to tell...
exactly

If you don't provide a place all the time, you may miss the sometimes subtle signs that they are ready to lay eggs and that leads to eggbinding and death. QUOTE]
or a bunch of dessicated eggs dropped all over the floor of the cage :(

Well I just put them together again this will be the 3rd mating. She did not show the dark colors but is trying to get away. So i guess since no dark colors meant she was not pregnant.

Perhaps not. Are these her first matings ever? If she is trying to get away, just keep watching in case you need to intervene.

Back
Top Bottom