How can I help my sick Chameleon?

Edyth

Hello, I got my veiled chameleon about 2 months ago. She is a girl(I think) and is still a juvenile. She used to be active and eat so much and now she is always lethargic and does not eat at all. I did my research and I came to believe that she has MBD.
I thought I did my research on chameleon care but I Never found out I had to give my chameleon calcium without D3 every feeding. I feel terrible.
I read online that I can help her without a vet if it is not severe. I know it’s not severe because I caught her symptoms right away, which is her being lethargic And not eating. I’m sure it’s MBD because of the whole not giving her calcium every feeding.
What can I do to help her ?
She doesn’t eat so I’ve been force feeding her and with the calcium applied as well. I havnt seen her drink water either so I give her drops whenever she opens her mouth. What else can I do ? Should I just keep doing what I’m doing ? Will she get better ? And how long till she does ?
She also opens her mouth when basking, but I read that it’s normal.
Any help with be greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• AF2A973E-9F0E-44CE-89FD-35015E876B8B.jpeg
    AF2A973E-9F0E-44CE-89FD-35015E876B8B.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 265
Looks female but too hard to be certain. Easy way to tell male from female veileds is to look at the back feet. Does your Cham have a bump, called a tarsal spur on its hind feet? If so then it is male, if not then it’s female.

This could be important because if it is female she will for sure need a place do dig. This is for laying her eggs. Even though there is no male present, females will produce clutches of eggs. If there’s no place to dig then the above mentioned symptoms could be the first signs of something worse to come.

Looks female but too hard to be certain. Easy way to tell male from female veileds is to look at the back feet. Does your Cham have a bump, called a tarsal spur on its hind feet? If so then it is male, if not then it’s female.

This could be important because if it is female she will for sure need a place do dig. This is for laying her eggs. Even though there is no male present, females will produce clutches of eggs. If there’s no place to dig then the above mentioned symptoms could be the first signs of something worse to come.
I believe she is a female and does not have any tarsal Spurs. I do not have a place for her to dig.. how do I set that up ?

veiled chameleons can start to lay infertile or fertile eggs as early as 6 months old without the proper nutrients and calcium they can become egg bound. for starters you will need a minimum 12x12x12 bin to fill with play sand. the blog I linked you to should tell you what you need to know. if your chameleon becomes egg bound bring her to the vet asap.

Chameleon: veiled chameleon, maybe female. I believe she’s is about 4 months. I have her about two months

Handling: I don’t handle her too much since I know Chameleons do not like that.

Supplements: I now have calcium with D3. Also have calcium without D3 and the vitamins. I just failed to give her the calcium every feeding.

Watering: I have a dripper and I mist 3-4 times until all the hibiscus tree leaves are covered. I used to see her drinking and now I haven’t

Fecal: at first there would be normal fecal. Dark brownish color with a bit of white and now I rarely see any.

History: I got her at petco. She seemed fine and was always fine. I believe the problem was not giving her calcium every feeding and I just want to know what I can do to help her.

Cage: I got it at petco. The breeze one by zoo med, size medium. I believe it is 16x16x30. I will get a bigger one when she gets bigger since she is still a juvenile.

Lighting: I use the reptisun 5.0 uvb 13 watt tropical bulb

Temperature: the temperature near the basking area is around 90 and away from it is around 80-85. Below is around 75 and lower to the bottom is 70. I have a digital thermometer

Humitity: I have nothing to measure it but I will be getting something soon. Any recommendations?

Plants: I have a hibiscus tree, or ficus ? I’m sure it’s hibiscus. I made sure it was chameleon safe. When she was healthy she would bit chunks off the leaves.

Placement: I have the habitat sitting on a night stand near the wall/ window. The window is always covered and is covered by thick black curtains and also isn’t on the side where the window opens

I just really want to know how to make her feel better and for her not get into a severe MBD stage. I hate force feeding her because I know it stresses her out i don’t know what else to do.
If there is more information about the care of my chameleon, please tell! Thanks

veiled chameleons can start to lay infertile or fertile eggs as early as 6 months old without the proper nutrients and calcium they can become egg bound. for starters you will need a minimum 12x12x12 bin to fill with play sand. the blog I linked you to should tell you what you need to know. if your chameleon becomes egg bound bring her to the vet asap.
Is that why she has stopped eating ? I don’t know if it’s the lack of calcium or her being egg bound now :(

no she isn't showing receptive colors meaning she hasn't developed eggs but she may be trying to or its mbd but it doesn't look like mbd

you need to be feeding a varied diet for example roaches, silkworms and hornworms are great

you should be misting for at least 2 mins every day 3 times a day.

you need an actual heat bulb. I would use a house bulb from the hardware store depending on where ur located 60 to 100 watts, or can you post a picture of the tropical bulb. I don't exactly know what you're talking about

is your uvb bulb compact or linear, compact doesn't give off enough uvb

her basking spot should only be at around 85, 90 may be too hot

get a digital hydrometer

Does she have to lay in her habitat or is it okay in her bin ? I have a pretty big bin for her to lay but it won’t fit in her cage

her enclosure should be a minimum 18x18x36 an the lay bin, I personally would make part of her enclosure because it's more easily accessible

She’s not Gravid or eggbound. No MBD either. Prob D3 overdose, how often was it given? Please post a pic of the label.
She’s not Gravid or eggbound. No MBD either. Prob D3 overdose, how often was it given? Please post a pic of the label.
I gave her calcium without D3 about just two feedings since I had her. I’ve had her about two months. I didn’t get her without D3 every feeding. I lacked to do that and I feel awful.

Attachments

• 9C0BE018-7069-4F62-9A89-6829E34C10AF.jpeg
    9C0BE018-7069-4F62-9A89-6829E34C10AF.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 41
her enclosure should be a minimum 18x18x36 an the lay bin, I personally would make part of her enclosure because it's more easily accessible
Her enclosure is 16x16x30 at the moment. I will definitely upgrade. What do I do for now ? Will it be okay if I let her lay her eggs outside her enclosure. The bin I have is very high

Her enclosure is 16x16x30 at the moment. I will definitely upgrade. What do I do for now ? Will it be okay if I let her lay her eggs outside her enclosure. The bin I have is very high
Not gravid, no eggs to worry about. All you need to focus on right now is getting your supplements right. What are you gutloading with?

Not gravid, no eggs to worry about. All you need to focus on right now is getting your supplements right. What are you gutloading with?
Are you sure no eggs ? :( now I’m freaking out about her being egg bound.
I keep the crickets in a holder with a sponge soaked in water and feed them potato’s and also these clear jelly like things

Attachments

• B8D53C9B-EB66-4E0E-AF93-833060E4058F.jpeg
    B8D53C9B-EB66-4E0E-AF93-833060E4058F.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom