How can i get my veiled chameleon to walk onto me?

Shes near a year old and she will come to me if I put my hand out but she always thinks i have a roach or worm in it so she tries to shoot it. If i try to grab her, even if I move slow she swells up and hisses and tries to bite me. I really think it would be cool t handle her and i know veileds can be agressive

Shes near a year old and she will come to me if I put my hand out but she always thinks i have a roach or worm in it so she tries to shoot it. If i try to grab her, even if I move slow she swells up and hisses and tries to bite me. I really think it would be cool t handle her and i know veileds can be agressive
Try making a free range that is high up for her. Put a stick inside the cage to the free range. Do this fairly often. Then start only using the stick to transfer her to the free range, and then after a while of that and her gaining your trust she may eventually come to your hand. Once she trusts you and realized you are the source to her free loading...possibly she may give in :). This is how I did it for mine. He would occasionally get curious and come out, but rarely would he take the step to get on h hand. For a while othe would try to use anything but my hand to get out. Once he realized he couldn't without climbing onto me then he chose my hand, and I would quickly put him on his free range. He literally will almost "run" to grab onto my shoulder while I'm cleaning or up in his cage. And half the time I offer my hand he will freely grab on. Sometimes he will just chill on my shoulder. But once he starts migrating down I know he wnat to explore. So I will take him outside or put him on his free range. You just need to get the chameleon to trust you and realize she can free load off of you . Continue offering feeders by hand. Try leaving the cage door open more and be around her more so she gets use to your presence.

Try making a free range that is high up for her. Put a stick inside the cage to the free range. Do this fairly often. Then start only using the stick to transfer her to the free range, and then after a while of that and her gaining your trust she may eventually come to your hand. Once she trusts you and realized you are the source to her free loading...possibly she may give in :). This is how I did it for mine. He would occasionally get curious and come out, but rarely would he take the step to get on h hand. For a while othe would try to use anything but my hand to get out. Once he realized he couldn't without climbing onto me then he chose my hand, and I would quickly put him on his free range. He literally will almost "run" to grab onto my shoulder while I'm cleaning or up in his cage. And half the time I offer my hand he will freely grab on. Sometimes he will just chill on my shoulder. But once he starts migrating down I know he wnat to explore. So I will take him outside or put him on his free range. You just need to get the chameleon to trust you and realize she can free load off of you . Continue offering feeders by hand. Try leaving the cage door open more and be around her more so she gets use to your presence.
Thats splendid! Ive seen people with outworlds for their chams but i wasnt sure it was a very common thing. What should it be composed of? Like some large houseplants?

You're not really supposed to grab them. Come from under them and lift up slowly. If shes new give her time to adapt. There are threads on this subject I would recommend checking em out.
Thank you! And i never "grab" her, I do try to put my hand underneath her, she did walk onto it one time though. Ill continue hand feeding and try to make an outworld for her, like kelly_girl199 said.

image.jpg
Thank you! And i never "grab" her, I do try to put my hand underneath her, she did walk onto it one time though. Ill continue hand feeding and try to make an outworld for her, like kelly_girl199 said.

I got those little hooks from Hobby Lobby on clearance. The bamboo came from Home Depot for 3$. Fake leaves or vines you can get cheap at hobby lobby o Michaels too with coupons.
Oh thats awesome. And there is a lot of bamboo in my back yard also. I will definitely puck yo some more fake plants. I already have a few

Back
Top Bottom