How can I get him to like me

Mark

hi I’ve had a juvenile chameleon for 2 months now and he’s 3-4 months old how can I get him to like me like I’m all the vids of them climbing onto their owners eagerly. I’d really like to get him to do that because I love my little buddy

hi I’ve had a juvenile chameleon for 2 months now and he’s 3-4 months old how can I get him to like me like I’m all the vids of them climbing onto their owners eagerly. I’d really like to get him to do that because I love my little buddy
To put this lightly and nicely, chameleons down like us , they tolerate and trust us.By not harming and hand feeding and just being around your cham you build trust as in it sees that the big scary human won't hurt them and you bring food. Crawling onto your arm simply means they now see you as a safe zone and as a way out of the cage. This can be accomplished by hand feeding, cup feeding, and free ranging. Look into all of those and he/she will one day come through and will trust you enough to come and venture out of its cage. Now this is not guaranteed because it also depends on the chameleon temper. They are all different. I did all this with my veiled and if I so much as get near him he wants to bite me, my panther tolerates me and will not be on defense ever only if I bother. Hope this helps.

To put this lightly and nicely, chameleons down like us , they tolerate and trust us.By not harming and hand feeding and just being around your cham you build trust as in it sees that the big scary human won't hurt them and you bring food. Crawling onto your arm simply means they now see you as a safe zone and as a way out of the cage. This can be accomplished by hand feeding, cup feeding, and free ranging. Look into all of those and he/she will one day come through and will trust you enough to come and venture out of its cage. Now this is not guaranteed because it also depends on the chameleon temper. They are all different. I did all this with my veiled and if I so much as get near him he wants to bite me, my panther tolerates me and will not be on defense ever only if I bother. Hope this helps.
don't** first sentence correction

We have two veiled chameleons that are the same age. Loretta looks towards you when you're near the cage and Carmen runs away. Loretta stays light green and falls asleep in your hands being held. Carmen goes super dark and tries to bite when held. They're just different. I love Carmen but she wants me to burn in hell! The best I get is to hand feed her. They're solitarily creatures who have mastered the art of hiding... a lot of chams just don't enjoy attention.

My cham likes to climb onto my head and sit up there. He surveys the area while I walk around. Sometimes he'll sit on my hand too. It all depends on how he's feeling.

First off, if you have a veiled chameleon dont get your hopes too high... They can have drastic attitude changes throughout their lives. Veiled also tend to be more defensive or territorial. My veiled goes through phases where for a few months he will let me handle him, hand feed, ect. Then out of nowhere, he tries to kill me if I open his cage...

If you want to try to build trust with your cham, start slow.... Really slow and gradually increase the interactions. Start by hanging out in the room with the cage but try not to make eye contact or move around too much or too quickly. Eventually, the chameleon will stop trying to hide from you.

Then I would start to try hand feeding from a cup. Hold the cup at arms length with your chams favorite treats in it and hold it still for 5 or so minutes. Again, minimal eye contact during this... It may take a few days or weeks of this but hopefully the chameleon will start to willing feed from the cup in your hand.

Next, try holding the feeder in your hand and see if the cham will eat. This should get the chameleon to associate you with food. You can then use a stick you slowly lure the chameleon out of the cage. Hold the stick out near a vine or branch and use a feeder to draw the cham out and on the stick. Do this for a few days before removing the cham from his cage. Eventually, you can replace the stick with your arm.

Use this time that you are working with the chameleon to gt to know the animal. take note of the chameleon posture, and reactions to your movements.

Back
Top Bottom