How big?

emilily

I am considering doing diy enclosures for my male and female Jackson's, but if possible I would like to build just one large enclosure. How big would one have to be to house a male and female Jackson's together?

It might be easiest just to build one large cage with a divider in the middle. Not sure how big it would need to be without one.

That's a bad idea they are pretty solidary animals they only get together for "sexy time " lol but otherwise they might fight/ be stressed I suggest two cages or 1 big cage with a divider between :) but that's just my opinion I'm sure you'll get others hope that helps

I was originally thinking with a divider, I just couldn't figure out how to keep it supported. I've been trying to figure out the logistics with all the different options.

I was originally thinking with a divider, I just couldn't figure out how to keep it supported. I've been trying to figure out the logistics with all the different options.

You would have to incorporate it into the original frame itself. I don't know if you plan on doing a wood frame, but this would be the easiest way to make a divider in between that would be sound in my opinion.

And I don't know how much experience you have with chameleons or jacksons in particular, but it wouldn't be a good idea if you are knew to this hobby to have them in the same enclosure no matter if you gave them an entire room to themselves.

Something like this. Just imagine the lines are 1x2s or whatever size you would like ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 176
I think I have it figured out. Its probably going to be about 4-5ft wide about 2ft deep, and about 4ft tall wood frame, plexiglass down the middle, one door for each side and a bottom door along the whole length. I just want to make something where the plexiglass is removable in case I get a bigger species after my Jacksons'. Or, is there some type of thick, hard to see through mesh that wouldn't mold that I could use for a divider?

I think I have it figured out. Its probably going to be about 4-5ft wide about 2ft deep, and about 4ft tall wood frame, plexiglass down the middle, one door for each side and a bottom door along the whole length. I just want to make something where the plexiglass is removable in case I get a bigger species after my Jacksons'. Or, is there some type of thick, hard to see through mesh that wouldn't mold that I could use for a divider?

What to you mean by mold? As in bacteria growth or conformity? Most mesh is rated to be used outdoors and can withstand mold and mildew. I would put mesh in between but it really doesn't matter as long as you have decent airflow. It's all in the look you want. Were you going to use mesh screen on the sides or plexi all around? Most people suggest plexi for people that don't have problems with heat and humidity. But it's all up to you

Running a door along the entire bottom would be somewhat difficult to seal but it can be done. You don't want feeders going to different sides of the cage. Then one Cham might get more or less food than the other unless you plan to cup feed in which you would just need to make sure the chams couldn't sneak their way to the other side

You could always just use a sheet. I pin it up so that it doesn't fall off, even if they climb on it. Pin it up in all four corners and along the sides. You want the sheet to be something that they can't see each other through. I'm assuming you mean mold by the moisture, but you should be letting the enclosure dry out completely in between mistings. Also with these sheets, you can easily take it down and throw it in the washing machine.

If you're using plexiglass, you may want to paint it black or something so that they can't see each other through it. Sometimes, just the presence of another cham can stress them out.

I never thought of a sheet. That would make it all a whole heck of a lot easier. Or I guess a beach towel will work too.

I've also nixed the bottom door thing, its going to be too difficult to make it.

I've also nixed the bottom door thing, its going to be too difficult to make it.

It wouldn't do you much good anyway.

The sheet is a much better idea though. Especially more so than plexi because then they might see two more chameleons rather than just one! Like symphonica said, if you do, you would want it to be blacked out in between. You could even do a custom double sided rock wall in between if you are feeling extra crafty, or even a sheet of plywood, but then you would have to worry about it warping if you dont seal it properly. Youre best bet might just be a sheet. But you still want to make sure it is pinned up very well as to avoid wandering feeders or sneaky chams form getting to the other side

But you still want to make sure it is pinned up very well as to avoid wandering feeders or sneaky chams form getting to the other side

Definitely. I have a sheet in the corner of a free-range room for a cham that just doesn't do well in a free-range set-up. He's allowed to leave the area if he wants, but chooses not to. He's perfectly happy in his isolated nook. Anyways, the ceiling is those lay-in ceiling tiles that are basically like condensed foam. Nothing holds in it. At first, I was using thumb tacks, but they kept popping out, so I've had to use those butterfly screw things that pop out once you put them in. Hopefully, you have a wood frame into which you can just thumb tack or screw them in. If you didn't want crickets passing through from one side to the other, you may have to glue the edges down. Those crickets will sneak through the smallest of crevices.

You could go to a fabric store and they'll sell you fabric by the yard. That way, you don't have to play around with a pre-sized bed sheet if you didn't want to. Black bed sheets may be hard to find, too. Of course, it doesn't have to be black as long as it's solid and not translucent. You could go with brown to match the wood, or maybe green to make it blend in with the plants. Or hey, purple if you really wanted

Back
Top Bottom