how am I doing

jagmom98

Established Member
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? veiled, male, about a year and a half. year and two months.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I don't really handle him, he handles me on a daily basis, on his terms.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Gut loaded crickets, superworms once in a while. 15 in the morning or so. Cricket crack and veggies.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? exoterra calcium no d3 every feeding, repcal w d3 twice a month, multivitamin 2 times a month reptocal.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?pressurized sprayer, 2 to 4 mins, 4 or 5 times a day. I see him drink often
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? firm brownish, and white urates. Tested negative for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. got him from backwater reps, they said 6 to 8 months old, but he was very tiny when I got him, so I am really unsure of his age. he weighs 160 grams, and is about 6 to 7 inches long, nose to vent

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? reptibreeze xl, 24x24x48 screen.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? reptisun 5.0 HO linear 22 inches. house bulb 60 watts and 75 on other side on cage. He basks under the 60 watt, and hangs out under the other light. it is sort of at an odd angle that prevents him from getting right under it.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Floor 73.5 degrees, mid 74.8, top 81.4, and basking 88-90 degrees. Lowest at night is about 73.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Pothos, and umbrella plants. And some fake vines to fill out.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? in my bedroom, nothing blowing on him, on a 2 ft tall stand. 6 ft from floor. no traffic, just me.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Pikeville NC, close to Goldsboro.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. no worries, jut wanted to know I am doing things right. has filled in a little bit, and the lights are different now.
dino cage.jpg

I think you forgot to fill out the humidity portion? How often are you feeding? Maybe switch to a 10.0 next time he needs a new bulb? Maybe mix in a little Vitamin A into his dusting regiment for good eye health as well. Cootos for filling this out and asking. I will be putting myself through this next week. I know I need to make a few more upgrades to my Viv before I ask.

So the only thing I see is maybe adding more horizontal vines throughout the enclosure. If he is screen climbing to get around this will cut that down as well.
With the feeding are you feeding every day or every other day? 15 is a lot for a man of his age but he is not seeming to be fat with his current weight either although since his length from nose to vent is shorter then most he may be heavy for his size. Have you tried BSFL with him? Might be a good one to add in to your staple feeders. I don't see the T5 lighting in this pic but since you said you have it then your good there. You missed the humidity questions. As long as your running 40% to 70% as the base humidity with higher spikes that drop back down when misting then your all set there as well.
Otherwise everything looks good. :)

So the only thing I see is maybe adding more horizontal vines throughout the enclosure. If he is screen climbing to get around this will cut that down as well.
With the feeding are you feeding every day or every other day? 15 is a lot for a man of his age but he is not seeming to be fat with his current weight either although since his length from nose to vent is shorter then most he may be heavy for his size. Have you tried BSFL with him? Might be a good one to add in to your staple feeders. I don't see the T5 lighting in this pic but since you said you have it then your good there. You missed the humidity questions. As long as your running 40% to 70% as the base humidity with higher spikes that drop back down when misting then your all set there as well.
Otherwise everything looks good. :)
I have quite a few branches hidden in the vines and plants. Still think I need more? Thanks for the reply.

I have quite a few branches hidden in the vines and plants. Still think I need more? Thanks for the reply.
I would but do Vines like the exo terra ones. You can weave them in just giving different grip sizes as well. They can be twisted together to get more dimension from them. Use tiny zip ties to attach to the screen and it will not tear it at all. :)

I do have the t5ho dual coming in the mail, if it ever gets here. I think Monday, It will have 5.0 uvb and a 6500k. The one I have right now is single t5ho 5.0 uvb. When I took that pic, I still had the compact bulb. so a few changes. Thanks, Julie

I would but do Vines like the exo terra ones. You can weave them in just giving different grip sizes as well. They can be twisted together to get more dimension from them. Use tiny zip ties to attach to the screen and it will not tear it at all. :)
cool, thanks!

I do have the t5ho dual coming in the mail, if it ever gets here. I think Monday, It will have 5.0 uvb and a 6500k. The one I have right now is single t5ho 5.0 uvb. When I took that pic, I still had the compact bulb. so a few changes. Thanks, Julie
You may want to jump up to the 10.0 UVB bulb. 5.0 is pretty low and he would need to be on top of the screen to get high enough uvi levels.

I think you forgot to fill out the humidity portion? How often are you feeding? Maybe switch to a 10.0 next time he needs a new bulb? Maybe mix in a little Vitamin A into his dusting regiment for good eye health as well. Cootos for filling this out and asking. I will be putting myself through this next week. I know I need to make a few more upgrades to my Viv before I ask.
I didn't realize that pic is kind of old. I have a ton of branches in different sizes hidden in the plants and more up top too. Sorry if it is misleading! Thanks, Julie

extra question. Can I still use the single hood, leaving the old uvb bulb for extra lighting? I realize that it won't have the uvb as it is about 6 months old. Does that make sense?

extra question. Can I still use the single hood, leaving the old uvb bulb for extra lighting? I realize that it won't have the uvb as it is about 6 months old. Does that make sense?
I would pull the compact uvb all together. Get yourself a low watt plant bulb. or just do a low watt regular light bulb that is not an LED bulb.

I would pull the compact uvb all together. Get yourself a low watt plant bulb. or just do a low watt regular light bulb that is not an LED bulb.
The uvb bulb I mean is the older t5ho. I just figured I could use it for extra light. So I would have a single fixture a dual and basking light.

The uvb bulb I mean is the older t5ho. I just figured I could use it for extra light. So I would have a single fixture a dual and basking light.
Ok sorry let me get caught up. What exactly are you working with for fixtures? Lengths and types?

Ok sorry let me get caught up. What exactly are you working with for fixtures? Lengths and types?
Basking bulb, 60 watt, Dual t5ho 22" with 5.0 uvb, and 6500k. That will be my set up as of next Monday. It will leave me with an extra t5ho 22" with the old uvb bulb. I am just wondering if I can use that single fixture for extra light, not uvb.

Back
Top Bottom