Housing female panther chameleons togetherI w

hello fellow Herper’s,
I am interested in starting a breeding project just for the joy of doing it. I’ve bred many different species of herps but not chameleons yet. This is more a question for experienced chameleon breeders, so please leave a reponse only if you have experience in breeding.
I’ve got a ways to go but was looking for some insight on the topic. I’m consiplating on purchase multiple female panther chameleon babies (sisters) and housing them together thru adult hood(most likely three only). I live in a northern climate so housing would be indoors. Has anyone had success keeping females together sexually mature in an indoor setting and how large of enclosure was/is used.

Chameleons are extremely territorial, aggressive, and prone to stress-induced weakened immune systems. Almost all species should be kept separately and this includes panther chameleon females. You would need an absolutely enormous enclosure (with three separate basking spots, three separate eating stations, and an absolute ton of foliage cover to prevent them from seeing each other) to keep them together and, even then, it would be very risky and not at all advisable.

Not sure why people that don't breed can't answer this question. It's simple, separate cages. You could do a search for this. Don't cut corners for your own benefit. Sorry to be blunt, but that's the truth.

Agree with James. I don’t breed either, but been a member in the chameleon community for over 8 yrs now. No cohabitating of chameleons with the exception of a few species( pygmies, melleri ), and the ones you are interested in breeding happen to not be one of them. If you cannot afford separate cages, or do not have the space, then don’t do it. Sorry it might not be the answer you wanted to hear, but we are here to help keepers be successful and raise healthy chameleons.

It’s all good, space is not an issue nor cutting corners. I’ve seen it first hand in an outdoor setting where chameleons could roam about a large patio. Money is not an issue. The health of the chameleons is my number one concern. I was just curious if anyone has had raised multiple females together without issues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom