Housing Chams together?

Pssh,

There were a lot of caveats that went along with what I said that are not included in your summary. To quote the exchange you guys are talking about:

I'm saying that the female will continually reproduce, which shortens the females life. Unless that is incorrect.

Actually, yes, that is incorrect, Pssh. A number of people who have kept various chameleon species together as pairs have found that reproduction actually decreased in pairs kept together compared with pairs kept separate and then introduced and bred as soon as the female was receptive. This includes observations with Veiled Chameleons, among others.

Most chameleon species can be kept in pairs but it is contingent on an enclosure of appropriate size and design appropriate for that species. Most importantly, it depends on the behavior of the individual animals involved and this is where experience becomes vital and why no one recommends cohabitating pairs except for the most experienced keepers.

Chris

Do you have any links? I'd like to read about that. So how would you control the food intake to prevent large numbers of eggs from being produced? Is it better to lay more smaller clutches or less larger clutches?

Happy reading: http://www.captivebredreptileforums.co.uk/chameleons/6735-yemen-observations.html

This is something I've spoken to a number of people about over the years, including Scott and Rob from this thread.

Chris

In the absence of considerable experience, cohabitation outside breeding should not be attempted as the keeper lacks the experience to properly examine the stress and condition of both animals for subtle indicators of problems which can shorten the lifespan of the animals.

Chris

Wow! That was a LOT of information and opinions! I really appreciate it! Thanks! I'm gonna take a really close look at his chams next time I am over there. See if there are any signs of stress. I didn't see any when I was there before though. They are both very bright and alert. They both eat and drink. They don't rub or anything. It's a mystery I guess. LOL!

kay guys, im glad i came upon this thread, but im not going to read every single entry. 1) i am building a homemade enclosure 2' deep, 3' wide, and 4' tall. there will be a pond/waterfall and will be heavily planted with live plants. i have a 6 month old female veiled. and i was wondering would it be possible to house 2? also, if possible, is it do-able to house a veiled and a panther? male and female?

P.M with your inputs. im new to this and finding the thread isnt the easiest yet. :p

View attachment 21535

View attachment 21536

Please read everything in this thread. You should not house chameleons together. You shouldn't have a pond and waterfall either.

I might be a bit harsh, but if you don't plan on reading all the entries of this post, you shouldn't have a chameleon. Chameleon husbandry is all about reading, reading, and guess what? Reading.

And finding this post is very easy. On the top center of every Internet window, be it Explorer, Netscape, Firefox, Opera, etc, there's a top feature called " Favorites", click on it and save it. There you go! ;)

yeah you're right. lol. reading is everything. my brain is just suffocating today from straight working and no eating. lol. so the question is answered than, no housing more than one together. but again, could be luck. this lady at one of the pet stores here in windsor houses 7!!!! in the largest sized flexarium. and when i heard this i was like ugh..??? but yeah. as to the waterfall and pond. its just an idea right now that will probably fall through. i will be putting a drain and filter system through it. they only thing im skept about, is her falling in. but i wasnt planning on putting any plants or branches over the water. still more takes. and surely i will read the rest of this thread :D just let me regroup myself haha

You can put them in the same enclosure as long as you make sure they cannot see or get to each other...and, yeah...as fun as the waterfall is, it's not a good concept. You'll spend way more time than you want to cleaning it.

The problem with the pond and waterfall is that they get bacterias even if you have a good filter. However, I wouldn't be too worried about chameleons drowning. In fact, some can swim and it's really impressive to see!

I am glad to see that you don't mind reading. Of course you don't have to do it all at once! Especially if you don't have a chameleon yet! ;)

Veileds 2 Females and 1 Male Together

Hey, I have 3 adults. 2 females and 1 male housed together and they have been so for 2+ years. We do breed them but they are not stressed at all. They get along great and even drink water off each other. The Male loves it and has 1 girl he prefers over another. He He. However the cage we have is 4 foot tall by 3 1/2 foot long by 2 1/2 foot deep and we have 2-4 foot fake ficas trees in it with fake vines strung between. And they must have adequate lighting so they don't fight over basking spots. It's pretty cool how they get along! No problems at all. They have been together since they were 3 months old, that could have something to do with it. Also we breed and currently have 3 5 month males housed together, 5 5 month females and 1 smaller female seperate. we also have 8 4 week old babies housed together now. You do not want to house chameleons together usually if they are different sexes unless you are breeding. Also don't ever house them together if one is much smaller than the other, they will eat each other! They are cannabalistic in this way. Hope this helps!;)

Last edited:
Pics

Yeah our chameleons like I said are three years seems that they are real health together. I don't see any harm of them dying any day so decreasion of life expectancy seems not to be a prob here. But, I did hear that also. Just fiction in our habitats. Here are some pics of My male and his fave female together. These are the 3 year olds. The last pic is of the 5 females 5 months. However we will be seperating the 5 month olds to 2-3 per large cage shortly.

Attachments

• DSC04413.jpg
    DSC04413.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC04414.jpg
    DSC04414.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 125
Yeah our chameleons like I said are three years seems that they are real health together. I don't see any harm of them dying any day so decreasion of life expectancy seems not to be a prob here. But, I did hear that also. Just fiction in our habitats. Here are some pics of My male and his fave female together. These are the 3 year olds. The last pic is of the 5 females 5 months. However we will be seperating the 5 month olds to 2-3 per large cage shortly.

What you are doing is cruel. First of all a cage that is 2X2X4 is large enough for one male, but in no way large enough for 3. How do you know you are not stressing them out? Living to 3 is good, but if your females are breeding over and over again I don't see much left to them.

Keeping males together is really REALLY cruel. You are aware that they are territorial? At 5 months old, you really need to get them into separate cages. NOT 3 to a cage. Siblings at 5 months will seem to get along, but you are putting undue stress on them, and I guarantee you will come home to a disaster any day if you leave them together.

Why is it that you are defying every rule in keeping chameleons?

I am absolutely saddened that you keep them crammed together like that-the pictures are horrific and they can barely move. Why no live plants-even more cruel to keep them in what I am guessing is very little humidity. I know you think you know what is best-but you seriously need to made some changes.

P.S.-It is against copyright law to use another breeders photos in your advertising.

Last edited:
+1 Julirs.

To add to what Julirs said, i wouldn't even put my one and only Furcifer Pardalis into your biggest enclosure... So never 3 at a time!!

Now, will i ever try to house a few chameleons together? I believe i might in the future. So yes, it's a possibily. But if i ever do it, trust me, my enclosures will be AT LEAST 10 times the size of yours, and will be HEAVILY planted.

To me, your setups looks like the ones in most petshop...ie careless setups...

setup

There was a error in the dimension that were posted that have been edited. The proper size for males is bigger than for females.. Ours is over 4 ft. tall x over 3 1/2 ft. long x over 2 1/2 ft. wide. They have multiple basking spots and adequate foilage and are not unhappy whatsoever. thanks for your concern but they are supplied with more than enough water and in dallas the humidity is almost always very high. You know what opinions are like and I think yours are the stinkiest kind. We are currently moving and all the sub-adults are unfortunatly cramped right now but we wll be in our new hous in the next few weeks and they will be seperated and housed accordingly. As to your other part of your post you need to get your facts straight before you accuse anyone of copyright infringement. The picture of the chameleon is of our male Disco and was taken by my wife. Do not accuse anyone of something unless you have proof.
Criticism is not knowledge.

You have a picture from the FLChams website...on your ebay ad. Are you saying that the FLChams picture is yours? My opinions are facts-you should not be keeping males together, and even your new dimensions are not large enough to house 1.2. Have you no knowledge of these animals in the wild?

I have to say without a doubt this is one of worst posts for information I have ever seen on here and a blatant disregard for experienced keepers trying to help. Bottom line is, chameleons should not be housed together unless you are an experienced keeper,which rules out about 90% of the population on here.Just because you are observing your chameleons in a moment of tolerance 15 minutes a day doesn't mean things are peachy.
I can drive with my feet,but it's not a good idea.

There was a error in the dimension that were posted that have been edited. The proper size for males is bigger than for females.. Ours is over 4 ft. tall x over 3 1/2 ft. long x over 2 1/2 ft. wide. They have multiple basking spots and adequate foilage and are not unhappy whatsoever. thanks for your concern but they are supplied with more than enough water and in dallas the humidity is almost always very high. You know what opinions are like and I think yours are the stinkiest kind. We are currently moving and all the sub-adults are unfortunatly cramped right now but we wll be in our new hous in the next few weeks and they will be seperated and housed accordingly. As to your other part of your post you need to get your facts straight before you accuse anyone of copyright infringement. The picture of the chameleon is of our male Disco and was taken by my wife. Do not accuse anyone of something unless you have proof.
Criticism is not knowledge.

Oy. tsk, tsk. When will these people learn. I am so tired of reading these threads where people think they know everything and then lash out at the person who tells them otherwise, despite the fact that the person doing the telling has WAY more experience that the tellee. Kudos to Mistikmaiden for taking the advice and moving forward. :)

Coppel, get off your high horse. Do you see those little green dots in the upper right-hand side of Julirs' post? Those are called "reputation points" and they are there for a reason. She, as well as MANY people on this forum know what they are talking about and will tell you exactly what Julirs is telling you. And why do you lash out at Juli so quickly and harshly when you just admitted you are wrong by saying that when you move "they will be seperated and housed accordingly". Because her opinion is the correct advice is not a reason to lash out like that.

I am one of those people that will tell you that you are wrong in keeping them like you are. Yes, I will say that some pairs/trios can live together (albeit in a FAR bigger environment than what you are supplying to them). However, as it was discussed, there are so many variables to this and to the inexperienced (or even experienced) keeper, it's just best to keep them separated altogether.

Oh, and it gets super humid in Chicago, too. But just because it's humid outside, doesn't mean that it's humid inside (i.e. IN the cage).

Back
Top Bottom