Hornworms

Leroux2008

My horn worms just came in =D I am assuming the little pellets in the cup are their waste so they are going into the garbage.

The hornworms smell funny.... is that the horworms, their poop, or their food?

hornworm2.jpg

Hornworm1.jpg

Make sure that you prop the cups up so that air can flow into them. Or else you can set them on wire shelves so that they can get airflow into the cup.
Not sure on the smell, I think its the frass/poop though. I think the food is fairly odorless. Wait til your chams see them, they will go into attack mode quickly. lol

ya I read the little sheet on top of the cup I have one propped against my flukers calcium and one propped on a bandaid box. lol I know I fed some already to Mr.Chameleon XD Hes nuts about them.... but Mrs. Chameleon doesn't know waht to think ... I have yet to see her attack one... I put it on teh screen right in front her and all shes doing is staring at it lol.,

yeah their poop is big unlike! I have found the chow to kinda smell. Its all nasty if you ask me!!! Silks, crickets etc! I wish they were herbivores!

Me too XD Its a weird smell its like tangy or something XD XDNot in the delicious way ..... I decided to place them on the top of the cage so they can get full air and plus one of the cups has a bunch of extremely small ones still with a little of the casing on them so maybe some of the heat from the bulbs will contract around them XD Luckily, as long as the lid is on the smell stays contained. lol and atleast the smell doesnt kill them......

You guys would be surprised how easy it is to hatch hornworms.
It's definitely worth trying if you can get them cheap enough.

Roaches are for the most part.

btw, I also go some worms and they arrived on wednesday. Is it normal form them to be so humid inside? droplets form inside the containers.

I didnt think it smelled good XD Its wayyy to strong. lol Sadly there is no feeders that can be odorless DX

doesn't smell good to me. It is actually spoiling. But it doesn't hurt the horns as bad as it hurts silks.

Silkworms grown on leaves smell very nice! It's like fresh cut grass.

I use chow in the off seasons and they smell like rusty metal!

after switching to leaves, man, the silkie room smell so good! No kdding. :p

@ VeiledChams =Ya its going to get humid you gotta make sure you keep taking the poop out make sure there is no mold build up just whipe the little droplets off.

doesn't smell good to me. It is actually spoiling. But it doesn't hurt the horns as bad as it hurts silks.

Silkworms grown on leaves smell very nice! It's like fresh cut grass.

I use chow in the off seasons and they smell like rusty metal!

after switching to leaves, man, the silkie room smell so good! No kdding. :p

Lol I wasnt sure if I watned to get silkworms or hornworms.... I thought horns were prettier XD XD I love their vibrant green colors =p

Silks are healthier, and they also grow slower. The hornworms if you actually keep them warmer than room temperature can get to +4 inches in a week. I had one pod take almost 3 weeks to reach that size though because my house wasn't too warm at the time.

Silks are healthier, and they also grow slower. The hornworms if you actually keep them warmer than room temperature can get to +4 inches in a week. I had one pod take almost 3 weeks to reach that size though because my house wasn't too warm at the time.

you can put horns in the fridge for a day at at time, that would slow them down.

people doing reptile shows do this all the time to get their horns ready.

T_T I dont find they smell like peanut butter lol.... It is a tangyish smell but def not peanut butter XD XD. Maybe its just the thought of it being a bug that makes it not smell like peanut butter ? XD XD idk my chameleons do think they are scrumptuous though lol.

Lady silk.. do you know if its okay to feed the Chameleons Silks that have eaten color dye food? I dont want my chameleons turning purple 0.0 XD XD or getting sick =[[

Back
Top Bottom