Hornworms

samfish

I tried hornworms for the first time today...

My veiled was interested in the first one I put in his cage, right away.

But, the first two times he shot at it, the Suction Cups on the Hornworms Feet were stronger than my veiled's tongue, and he couldnt pull it off the floor of the cage.

The third time, he got it, but it seemed like he had to pull hard with his tongue to get the hornworm off the cage floor.

Is this Normal and OK, that his tongue has to pull so hard? Can it hurt his tongue?

There have been a few instances where my cham had to fight to get the hornworm to let go, too which makes me nervous. She's been fine, but there's always a risk for tongue injury. What I usually do is either keep the worm in my hand or I use tongs to feed hornworms (just make sure you loosen up on the tongs when the cham goes for the feeder or you're risking injury there too). Their grip on my skin isn't nearly as tough as it gets on a vine or branch in the cage. Or sometimes I'll set it on the screen. My cham seems to have a much easier time pulling one off of a screen vs. a branch.

I put my horn worms on a leaf up top and my cham demolishes them. Even ones that look way too big for him haha.

To prevent injury to the tongue, try hand feeding the Hornworms. They have a very strong grip. Sometimes even I struggle to remove them.

Back
Top Bottom