hornworms chow or tomatoe plants?

I think the tomato plant or if you have mulberry that would be best. Sometimes those aren't always available, if that's the case you can fall back on the chow.

I thought tomatoes plants are toxic, all the hornworm info says they only eat an assortment of nightshade plants, so I just want to know for sure from somebody more experienced than I am with them, if they will eat mulberry leaves then I'm golden

Last edited:
Yeah, tomatoe plants are a no no, I should already know that... I've been reading info related to my question, I was hoping for a definite answer of natural feed besides their natural food from somebody that has had success. I have came across hints of using mulberry leaves, but nothing definite

Yeah, tomatoe plants are a no no, I should already know that... I've been reading info related to my question, I was hoping for a definite answer of natural feed besides their natural food from somebody that has had success. I have came across hints of using mulberry leaves, but nothing definite
I tagged Matt so he should be able to give an exact answer :)

You are correct! Hornworms will eat quite a few things. The only things they really will thrive on is tobacco and tomato (nights shade plants - so tomato too). Unfortunstely those plants contains toxins that will build up in the body of the worm and make them toxic to chameleons! So, luckily for us, scientists developed a chow that hornworms can eat that contains everything they need to be healthy without containing any poison!

As for silkworm chow, hornworms might eat ti but they will not survive long on it! The sap of the mulberry tree is similar to latex and causes the hornworms to go in to a diabetic crisis and die! So, don't try it, it is not worth it!

Hope this helps!

You are correct! Hornworms will eat quite a few things. The only things they really will thrive on is tobacco and tomato (nights shade plants - so tomato too). Unfortunstely those plants contains toxins that will build up in the body of the worm and make them toxic to chameleons! So, luckily for us, scientists developed a chow that hornworms can eat that contains everything they need to be healthy without containing any poison!

As for silkworm chow, hornworms might eat ti but they will not survive long on it! The sap of the mulberry tree is similar to latex and causes the hornworms to go in to a diabetic crisis and die! So, don't try it, it is not worth it!

Hope this helps!
Thank you hun I thought I remembered what you told me correctly but I could not remember which chow would cause toxicity in which worm lol you are awesome as always!

Hope this helps!

Good to know. Thanks.

Good post and excellent example of why we encourage questions even when your pretty sure you know the answer! Very helpful post!

The toxins damage both the chams nervous system and liver. A single adult hornworm(3-4”) feeding on nightshade it’s whole life isn’t enough to kill your Cham but 2-3 definitely would.

Back
Top Bottom