Hornworm Pre-pupal stage??

bloftis1

Avid Member
I have 2 hornworms that are in the soil, they are starting to be slightly green, like kind of by their head just a little. But my other hornworm that is all green which is firm now definitely will pupae. But these two are a little mushy and soft not that firmness my other has. Are they dead? They still are moving a bit, or would this be pre-pupal.

It's hard to describe, but they will become duller and smoother. Then, the next step is they turn brown and look like they are in a husk. That's the step prior to them hatching out into moths. It's important to keep the soil moist enough so their wings develop. That said, I was not terribly successful in raising hornworms myself - there's a good blog on here about it, so that might be a good reference for you since it has pictures as well which are better than my poorly-phrased descriptions! :D

It's hard to describe, but they will become duller and smoother. Then, the next step is they turn brown and look like they are in a husk. That's the step prior to them hatching out into moths. It's important to keep the soil moist enough so their wings develop. That said, I was not terribly successful in raising hornworms myself - there's a good blog on here about it, so that might be a good reference for you since it has pictures as well which are better than my poorly-phrased descriptions! :D
Okay! But yes, I have read piglett's blog I believe that's the username it was very informational for me. I'm just a bit unsure about those 2 hornworms, I will see if there are any changes with them tomorrow. :) Thank you!!

Feel free to send me a pic, and I'll be happy to help you. I managed to hatch about 5 moths - 4 were in a cage with a tomato plant and did NOTHING! The fifth somehow hatched inside my house, and my husband told me to take care of it for him :D

Feel free to send me a pic, and I'll be happy to help you. I managed to hatch about 5 moths - 4 were in a cage with a tomato plant and did NOTHING! The fifth somehow hatched inside my house, and my husband told me to take care of it for him :D
Okay! I will. Thank you so much!:D

So in the first pic the one all the way on the right is the nice firm one that turned a dull greenish color, and the first 2 worms are the one I'm not even sure about anymore, very mush like and soft not firm like the other one. @absolutbill

Attachments

• IMG_1363.jpg
    IMG_1363.jpg
    602.4 KB · Views: 1,106
  • IMG_1361.jpg
    IMG_1361.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 1,067
I always wanted to make moths so I order them from lindasgonebuggy and they cacoon on their food and then they never come out as moths,Lucky!
Dangg, I've seen sites where they sell the pupaes. I have no clue if they actually hatch though, I ordered more hornworms though just in case if I'm only left with one moth -_- Lol!!

Ok, from what I've seen of mine turning, the one on the right looks dead, the one of the left looks like it's trying to cocoon.

Only did it once because I left a container on the shelf and forgot about it then when I saw them they all was starting to look like the one on the right the next couple days to a week they cocooned. took a month to hatch tho and some cocooned way befor others in the cup

Ok, from what I've seen of mine turning, the one on the right looks dead, the one of the left looks like it's trying to cocoon.

Only did it once because I left a container on the shelf and forgot about it then when I saw them they all was starting to look like the one on the right the next couple days to a week they cocooned. took a month to hatch tho and some cocooned way befor others in the cup
Perfect! Thank you guys so much for the info! I ordered some more hornworms and fatten them until they stop eating and roam, so I'm not left with just one moth LOL! But again thank you guys!!(y)

Also I’m pretty sure if they eat tomatoe plants, pepper plants, or tobacco plants the hornworm becomes toxic. If I’m wrong someone please correct me.
Yeah it does! I did my research on that actually. I definitely made sure not to feed them any of those plants, I feed them mulberry leaves once until i got some more chow :D

Have you picked up the one on the right or just nudged it?
Yes the dull green one, he still wiggles quite a bit, but the one I think your referring to the dead one I nudged him and barely moved, I believe he is dead and the one in the middle as well.

All the ones I had die I didn’t even know. they shriveled into a little red spike and a head no body give it a chance maybe they are just taking a wile they usually like to berry themselves. What temperature are they kept at?

Yes the dull green one, he still wiggles quite a bit, but the one I think your referring to the dead one I nudged him and barely moved, I believe he is dead and the one in the middle as well.

Interesting, I do mean the one on the right though. It looks like the ones that have died on me before they decayed. They were stiff and when picked up remind me of the "rubber pencil" game when I was kid lol. The first few I thought were still alive because they were just limp enough to look like they wiggled when touched.

Back
Top Bottom