Hornworm Pre-pupal stage??

All the ones I had die I didn’t even know. they shriveled into a little red spike and a head no body give it a chance maybe they are just taking a wile they usually like to berry themselves. What temperature are they kept at?
At 77F when I checked with the probe. I will wait a little and see if anything will change with the, thank you!! :)

Interesting, I do mean the one on the right though. It looks like the ones that have died on me before they decayed. They were stiff and when picked up remind me of the "rubber pencil" game when I was kid lol. The first few I thought were still alive because they were just limp enough to look like they wiggled when touched.
Lol!!! I will keep an eye on them, see if anything new happens tomorrow definitely!

How are you lighting them atm?
They get 17 hours of light, I've read they should get that, with 7 hours of dark
Edit: But when the sun is gone I use a lamp just a normal one doesn't get it really warm, still will stay in 78s.

I've read 12 light/ 12 dark, 80 to 85 ° and around 50% humidity. Mine are currently at what ever for temp their box is. I dont track nor worry about it but as an fyi, I keep my house 68/69°. I mist them once a day so the cocoons and surrounding soil is wet. I've got a 9w led bulb on top set to 12/12 until I finish moving them to their new home outside. Finally had a male and female hatch as of this morning so gotta get that done tomorrow night after work.

I've read 12 light/ 12 dark, 80 to 85 ° and around 50% humidity. Mine are currently at what ever for temp their box is. I dont track nor worry about it but as an fyi, I keep my house 68/69°. I mist them once a day so the cocoons and surrounding soil is wet. I've got a 9w led bulb on top set to 12/12 until I finish moving them to their new home outside. Finally had a male and female hatch as of this morning so gotta get that done tomorrow night after work.
Ohhhh!!! Okay Thank you a lot for that info! By the way how do you sex the hawkmoths?

Male is obviously smaller. Very easily noticed when you're looking at them. I'll try to get you some pics after I move them.

Here is an example of the male vs female. The large cocoons should be females and smaller males from what I've seen of mine hatching over the last few months.
Screenshot_2018-06-21-23-16-07.png

Here is an example of the male vs female. The large cocoons should be females and smaller males from what I've seen of mine hatching over the last few months.
View attachment 208260
Awesome! Thank you so much for helping me with this :), now this should be my last question about how many eggs will the females lay within their life span of like 1-2 weeks? :D

That is a good question. I've read 700 but these two are my first with out wing issues.

Wow, looks like everyone answered before I could get back on here! :D I agree that the one on the right looks dead. As for the tomato plant, you are correct - if the hornworms eat them then they need to be purged (fed hornworm food or other veggies to clean out their systems before feeding to your chams.). However the moths need the tomato plants to lay their eggs on, so you just let the moths lay their eggs (mine never made it to that step, so I'm just going by what I've read at this point!), and then remove the eggs to containers with hornworm feed. Good luck!

Wow, looks like everyone answered before I could get back on here! :D I agree that the one on the right looks dead. As for the tomato plant, you are correct - if the hornworms eat them then they need to be purged (fed hornworm food or other veggies to clean out their systems before feeding to your chams.). However the moths need the tomato plants to lay their eggs on, so you just let the moths lay their eggs (mine never made it to that step, so I'm just going by what I've read at this point!), and then remove the eggs to containers with hornworm feed. Good luck!
Are the eggs fragile at all if anyone knows??

Back
Top Bottom