Hornworm feeding

DavidL

I am planning on feeding hornworms among others and do not want to use a cup with the expection for roaches. Should I just place the worms on different plants throughout the cage and let the cham do the rest?

I usually just put one on a branch maybe 6-9" away from my chams so I was sure they'd see it. Hornworms don't move a whole lot so if you just scatter them around the plants they might not catch your chams attention. If I put more than 2 worms on their branches 1 or more would wind up crawling away to the plants and I'd find it a couple days later and have to put it where my chams would see it again and sometimes need to give it a squeeze so it'd move enough to get them interested in eating it lol.

Mine will take a worm right away from a condiment cup, but I just realized today how much stronger the feeding response is when the prey is on a branch vs. a cup. Especially with hornworms which pose zero risk of getting out and infesting I would just put it on a vine or branch, they are amazing at knowing prey when they see it even far away.

Thanks folks, I am starting with 200+ roaches, nutrigrubs, hornworms and 500 crickets. I'm also thinking of getting silkworms in the future because I have three mulberry trees. My panther is coming in today so I am excited to see how he eats.

**Wink wink** I have silkworms for sale right now

She has awesome silkworms, all of my guys are enjoying them:)

I am planning on feeding hornworms among others and do not want to use a cup with the expection for roaches. Should I just place the worms on different plants throughout the cage and let the cham do the rest?

When feeding silkworms and hornworms I place them all around the enclosure, they always find them, that is if I can get the silks in the enclosure without them being swiped from my hand(y)

@DavidL A tip for you about silkworms; they eat 24/7!! Depending on how many you are feeding, and how long you will be feeding them for, they can quickly eat all the leaves you can provide them! Feeding fresh leaves is great, but you may want to have at least some powdered chow on hand encase you need it!

It's been interesting watching him eat. I would like to get some silkworms, Katacara I tried to see if I could message you through this site to arrange for some but I don't seem to have that ability.

Back
Top Bottom