Hornworm chrysalis...

lisagr07

Avid Member
I had some ginormous hornworms that my champs wouldn't eat. So I put them in some Eco earth to see what happened..
That was 2 weeks ago, I got curious so I unearthed them today and this is whatnot found.. I recovered them... Now what???

tana9yvy.jpg

Nothing. Just leave them in the dirt and they will hatch and you can feed them to your chameleons.

Now you wait another week or longer until they hatch into moths, then hope you have males and females and you get eggs. But you will need the proper set up to get them to eat and breed.

I had a hornworm pupa laying on top of the soil on one of my potted plants - one of my Melleri ATE it! It's a bit frustrating / funny considering neither one of them will consider eating a hornworm.

Deb

I had a hornworm pupa laying on top of the soil on one of my potted plants - one of my Melleri ATE it! It's a bit frustrating / funny considering neither one of them will consider eating a hornworm.

Deb

My panther Daedalus did the same thing once! He just walks over, shoots at this thing (which is NOT moving, so why it interested him I don't know lol), chews it up enough to kill the moth, and then spits it out. I was so mad at him! If only he knew that he screwed up his chance at a big, juicy moth!

I have managed to get my melleri to eat hornworms now though, I don't know how! I tried with a much smaller one and she went for it, so I'm weaning her up in size so I can give her the huge ones in the future.

Would a 10 month old panther be able to eat one of the moths? My hornworms are getting really big really fast..

Back
Top Bottom