Hornedworms over Crickets

ForrestJungle

So my little veiled loves horendworms, a ton more then crickets. What should I do? Feed him more worms and less crickets.

hornworms are not staple foods, and you cant gutload them like you can crickets.

if he refuses crickets, you can try roaches.

you know how kids always want dessert before dinner???

same concept here.
;)

while you certainly CAN gutload hornworms, they shouldnt be a primary food.

You want a VARIETY of prey for your chameleon. See here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/74-feeders.html

Hornworms can be gutloaded on a purchased prepared "chow" , on dandelion leaves, sweet red or green peppers, grape vine leaves, sweet potatoe (lightly steamed and cooled), basil, etc. You can make your own chow paste (in a blender) from dandelion, grape vine leaves, arugula, mustard greens, basil, some sweet potatoe, some carrot, a little wheat germ, a dash of spirulina and a little brewers yeast.

You want a VARIETY of prey for your chameleon. See here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/74-feeders.html

Hornworms can be gutloaded on a purchased prepared "chow" , on dandelion leaves, sweet red or green peppers, grape vine leaves, sweet potatoe (lightly steamed and cooled), basil, etc. You can make your own chow paste (in a blender) from dandelion, grape vine leaves, arugula, mustard greens, basil, some sweet potatoe, some carrot, a little wheat germ, a dash of spirulina and a little brewers yeast.

Could you give the exact amounts on your hornworm chow? Do you use this or do you buy prepared chow as well?

Wonderful info. I don't make my own chow, I just use Great Lakes chow, but do gut load them. I usually just take a few off chow a few days before feeding and give them shredded carrots, mostly with a little dinofuel sprinkled on top. They destroy it lol and is nice to see when my chams eat them , and the orange paste come out when they chew. So much better than seeing the tan liquid from the chow. Thanks for the good reads

I gutload my hornworms with various greens, carrots and red bell pepper. They are great for hydration as well. Just be sure to use a wide variety of well gut loaded feeders. I try to keep 4-5 around at a time.

Could you give the exact amounts on your hornworm chow? Do you use this or do you buy prepared chow as well?

there are no exact measurements - just use whatever you've got around.
I personally prefer to use fresh greens and such without blending into a paste, but I rarely have more than a few of these larva at a time. I dont breed them myself, I just trade with someone I know who has them or get them from the local pet store. They are not a significant part of my chameleons diets.

no I do not buy hornworm prepared chow

Back
Top Bottom