Horn Worms :]

HollySaurusRex

Hello Everyone,

So for the first time a few days ago i fed my jackson some horn worms and he LOVED them! Now for a few questions:

1. Where can i buy them in bulk (so to say) so they are cheaper? ( the petstore i go too said she would charge $0.75 a worm! :eek: )

2. If i do buy them in bulk, what do i have to do for them to live awhile? ( what do they eat and stuff)

3. I heard they were high in calcium? ( dont know if this is true but would it be ok IF this is true to feed my chameleon these frequently )

4. What should they be housed in? ( a cup, tupperware box, etc. )

Thanks so much for your help!

Holly :)

I've been researching them for a day or two now as I'm thinking about adding them to my rotation as well. From what I've seen;
-they're some what harder to find than most worms, I believe b/c of seasonal changes
-I've read they can live for at least two months in a large container (plastic container you usually get when you get chinese soup take out) they usually come with food to last the worms for those couple months.
-I heard the same about them being high in calcium, but I do believe you have to supplement them to get them to the higher calcium levels that people talk about. Although Sandra's blog has more detail about their calcium and nutritional value I believe.
-Housing, from what I've seen, if it's not more than the 10-25 you order in their cup should be in the same cup they came in. Just put it upside down so their excrement can fall to the floor making their food be at the top of the container. There should also be a mesh they can crawl on to their food, that's going at a slight angle from the bottom to the top.

I'm not sure how they are sent in bulk though, but I'm guessing a similar setup. I guess you could order out a lot of hot and sour soup!!! :)

I breed them and have found that ordering them as eggs is the best. It does take about a week for them to grow big enough to feed off, but in the end they will last longer. You can feed them hornworm chow from great lakes hornworms or even silk worm chow. You can keep them in the deli cups or what I do is put gutter protector plastic screen in a Tupperware container (so the poop goes through) and put them in w a big chunk of food. I cut the top of the container and hot glue screen on it. I can post a picture later when I am at home.

When they are about the size you want you can cycle them in the frig for a day at a time to slow their growth. I am hoping to have a ton of eggs again in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully the moths come out before I leave for vacation or it will be a total loss.

I ordered two batches of hornworms and they were already too big to feed off when they arrived, so I let them grow and then put them in a plastic shoebox full of soil to pupate. They are pretty terrifying chrysalises, I'll tell you! Next I need to find a big mesh enclosure or similar to hatch the moths into so they can breed.

I would love to pay 75 cents a worm! Everywhere here I've found them for no less than $1.50.

Yeah, they're some what hard to find and when I do they're expensive. Let me know if y'all have any good deals y'all find anywhere.

I sell eggs. Haven't sold worms yet just because the shipping is easier with eggs. We have another bunch of worms pupating now that should be ready in the next couple weeks. After we get back from vacation we are going to try to get a somewhat constant flow going. We started breeding them for our Jackson Rex, but always end up with hundreds more than we need. In fact, we have a cup of 50-60 newly hatched worms that we aren't going to need. I wonder if it is too hot to ship them. I was hoping to find someone local to San Antonio to sell them to.

Hello Everyone,

So for the first time a few days ago i fed my jackson some horn worms and he LOVED them! Now for a few questions:

1. Where can i buy them in bulk (so to say) so they are cheaper? ( the petstore i go too said she would charge $0.75 a worm! :eek: )

2. If i do buy them in bulk, what do i have to do for them to live awhile? ( what do they eat and stuff)

3. I heard they were high in calcium? ( dont know if this is true but would it be ok IF this is true to feed my chameleon these frequently )

4. What should they be housed in? ( a cup, tupperware box, etc. )

Thanks so much for your help!

Holly :)

They are a great feeder. My chams, dragons, and geckos love them. Just be careful as they get huge very quickly. A large one can choke just about any chameleon. A member on this thread mentioned that he can sell you hornworms. Also, check with great lakes hornworms or other site sponsors. When you buy the worms from great lakes they are already in the container w/ pre-made chow.

Back
Top Bottom