Horn worms (aka "Goliath" worms)... Incredible growth rate!

NERVOUS

Avid Member
Wow, these things grow fast... And I mean REALLY FAST!

I ordered a cup of ~25 Horn worms from Mulberry Farms last week. I distinctly recall reading the part of the label referring to their growth rate and thinking to myself "Oh, come on now... How fast can these things really grow!?!" Plus, they looked pretty small when they were delivered. :ROFLMAO:

Well, they grew... And I mean REALLY GREW! They started out the size of a Meal worm. Within ~3 days they're the size of my small finger! I'm actually concerned they're going to get bigger than my Chameleon - Laugh! :eek:

I had a couple that got TOO big so I'm currently letting them turn into moths. I only have one of three left but it's still alive and still in its little shell thing. I'm not sure how long it takes for the full cycle though.

They grow sooo quick. I always pick out the smallest ones so my baby panther can eat a few. When they get to big I feed em to my adult panther and if they get huge my terrorist bearded dragon gets em

They grow sooo quick. I always pick out the smallest ones so my baby panther can eat a few. When they get to big I feed em to my adult panther and if they get huge my terrorist bearded dragon gets em

At the rate these things are growing one of them is going to eat my Chameleon! :ROFLMAO:

Yes, they grow so fast, it seem even faster when warmer weather like summer time. I have tried raising hornworms, took the large ones to let them turn to moths, but I usually ended up with ones with stunted wings (not keeping soil moist enough). I tried crickets also to no avail, but that was a while ago.

Yes, they grow so fast, it seem even faster when warmer weather like summer time. I have tried raising hornworms, took the large ones to let them turn to moths, but I usually ended up with ones with stunted wings (not keeping soil moist enough). I tried crickets also to no avail, but that was a while ago.
Stunted wings are because you didn't give them a proper perch to pump them, if the soil was too dry theyd get stuck and die in the pupae shell. You either need to have sticks that are firmly proper up or keep them in a screen cage.

Back
Top Bottom