As a first time Chameleon owner, am I doing okay?

Han0915

Hello all,
I am brand new to these forums as I am a first time Cham owner. I got my little guy about 1 month ago and he's been doing really well. He is now about 3-4 months old and growing daily. I have him in one of those large "starter cages" but definitely intend to upgrade once he's full grown, as well as got him some fake plants, branches, vines and two real plants that are slowly growing for him to use! He of course has a tube T5 UVB light and heat lamp as well. I intend on buying a MistKing soon too for him to make things easier, but otherwise I feel confident that I'm doing okay on the husbandry aspect. Feeding wise, I follow the supplement guide the breeder recommended (calcium daily, other vitamins like reptivite 2x a month), and he eats a mix of dubia roaches, meal worms, phoenix worms, and black soldier flies. Once he's bigger, I'll be getting him some hornworms to try!

Here is where I feel like I'm unsure; handling/socializing him. With my bearded dragon, I handled him daily for a good amount of time, and he grew up to be absolutely puppy dog tame and loveeees people. However with Chameleons, from all the research and forums that I've read through, stress is a huge factor for Chameleons and I understand it can sometimes be difficult to know if they're content or upset, aside from obvious color changes. So with my little guy, I know when he's upset, for example if I bring him outside, he instantly goes dark brown and tries hiding in my hands. That's the only time I see him ever get this way (I was trying to get him used to outdoors since I intended on buying him a huge cage to hang out there for a few hours during the day... but we'll see). Otherwise, when I handle him he always remains a light, dull-ish green. He has never bitten, puffed up, or anything towards me, but usually when I handle him, he just likes climbing all over me, up and down my arms/head/face kinda thing. He is even comfortable now eating right from my hands, and I do this daily to really get him accustomed to me. I try and handle him throughout the day for small periods of time, even putting him on a little tree by the window so he can have some "outside cage time". He absolutely loves his little tree, I'll spray the plant and he'll sit there licking all the droplets off each leaf LOL. So stinkin' cute. He'll sit there watching out the window and then climb down to let me know he's done and wants back in his cage haha.

So I know this is a difficult question, but does it sound like he is content with my handling? I really can't say whether he enjoys it or not, but I'm really dedicated on having him grow up not totally hating me lol. I understand Chams don't really love being handled, and that's fine if he's not that way. I just want him to be comfortable enough to where he knows I'm not ever going to hurt him, but I hope my good intentions aren't causing him unknown stress while I try handling him. Does it sound like I'm doing okay? Any tips or advice to help with our taming process? Imo, I personally think he's a very sweet little Cham that at this point, is kinda neutral to handling. He sometimes climbs on my hand right away, and sometimes he runs away lol. I guess it depends on his mood, but I'm really just wanting what's best for him so I'd love to hear how your guys went about taming your Chams!

Here's some pictures of my little guy, starting from Day 1 to now! The picture in the middle is the color he usually is inside his cage and out with me, though it can often appear lighter/more dull sometimes. The last picture is just before he got super pissed from being outside lol.

Last edited:
Nice-looking Cham I don't have advice with your handling it too much or not I Hill mine twice a day normally trying to get it used to me either being upset as I see a lot of owners chams are here's an image of mine I don't know how old is couple of months I said I got it from a pet store just two weeks ago I got a 16 by 16 by 30 cage and your lot of things you say you do is yours if you rip the right couple times a month peanut mostly crickets and mealworms and some wax worms it looks cilantro her name is Cham
20190921_084735.jpg
good luck with your chameleon wish me luck with mine fellow chameleon owner Steve

I can only speak to you from my experience and from owning 3 chameleons from 2 different species. All which are males. As juveniles they tend to be more ok with handling. When bringing them outside they almost freeze up and would much rather stay on you than get on a tree. This is mainly because they are more afraid of everything outside than they are of you at that moment. And theyre actually getting unfiltered sunlight letting them see in their full capacity which is probably a huge shock to their systems.

Two things can happen. He will start maturing and become more territorial and less inclined to come out or be handled. Even going as far as puffing up, mouth open, chameleon salute, ready to bite. This is the most common of cases and how all mine have been. And this is ok. This is how a chameleon is supposed to act when a big hairy creature brings there hand in to take them off their perching branch. Or he stays chill and almost like a dog at times kinda like your beardie.

Bill Strand explained this in one of his podcasts but basically there are different levels of stress. Handling is only as stressful as you make it. Never approach from above. Let your chameleon walk on you never grab unless needing to administrate meds. If you can respect his boundaries and watch his telling signs then a sort of relationship or bond can start to form.

Your chameleon going brown immediately upon going outside could be a sign of stress but it could also be your chameleon trying to draw in as much light as possible to warm himself up. Sunken eyes when otherwise having full turrets and pure white urates is a really good way I use to judge stress level as well.

I can only speak to you from my experience and from owning 3 chameleons from 2 different species. All which are males. As juveniles they tend to be more ok with handling. When bringing them outside they almost freeze up and would much rather stay on you than get on a tree. This is mainly because they are more afraid of everything outside than they are of you at that moment. And theyre actually getting unfiltered sunlight letting them see in their full capacity which is probably a huge shock to their systems.

Two things can happen. He will start maturing and become more territorial and less inclined to come out or be handled. Even going as far as puffing up, mouth open, chameleon salute, ready to bite. This is the most common of cases and how all mine have been. And this is ok. This is how a chameleon is supposed to act when a big hairy creature brings there hand in to take them off their perching branch. Or he stays chill and almost like a dog at times kinda like your beardie.

Bill Strand explained this in one of his podcasts but basically there are different levels of stress. Handling is only as stressful as you make it. Never approach from above. Let your chameleon walk on you never grab unless needing to administrate meds. If you can respect his boundaries and watch his telling signs then a sort of relationship or bond can start to form.

Your chameleon going brown immediately upon going outside could be a sign of stress but it could also be your chameleon trying to draw in as much light as possible to warm himself up. Sunken eyes when otherwise having full turrets and pure white urates is a really good way I use to judge stress level as well.

Yes, this is what I've heard as well. As they start aging, they become more aggressive, and I guess there's really no stopping that. :[ I just hope I'm able to gain his trust enough to where even as he ages, hopefully that allows him to grow up trusting me even slightly. I definitely only stick my finger out to allow him to walk on, so hopefully that means something. Actually lately whenever I come by his cage, he runs over close to me now. It's super cute, though I'm sure that's only his reaction to "ohhh water and food time!!". It's still pretty dang cute though. :p I completely understand, I really try to just keep him in my room when I'm handling him. I only try taking him outside a couple days a week but I'm beginning to think it's not worth stressing him. I could tell by his body position that he was definitely not comfortable, so I brought him back in immediately. I'm not sure if this is something I should give up on or continue pressing through? I'd really love to give him the chance to get some natural light.

As far as stress goes, he's having very healthy poops so I suppose that's good!

You said..."with my little guy, I know when he's upset, for example if I bring him outside, he instantly goes dark brown and tries hiding in my hands. That's the only time I see him ever get this way"... it seems when we take chameleons outside its more stressful...they have to watch for predators and are out of their normal territory....so I think that's why they behave hat way.

The benefits of natural sunlight greatly overshadow the small stress for a period of time he will encrue being outside

Ahhh I see. Is there a recommended way of getting him acclimated or should I continue just bringing him outside for 10-15 minutes at a time? We do have a lot of large crows and parrots in our area so I'm definitely not comfortable letting him sit outside alone at all. Every-time we go outside though, he just instantly flips himself upside down and hides under my hand... I feel so bad lol. I've been letting him out of his cage throughout the day to spend by the window basking, and I'm hoping that kinda helps him get used to things... but is there anything else I can do?

You said..."with my little guy, I know when he's upset, for example if I bring him outside, he instantly goes dark brown and tries hiding in my hands. That's the only time I see him ever get this way"... it seems when we take chameleons outside its more stressful...they have to watch for predators and are out of their normal territory....so I think that's why they behave hat way.
Yes this is my fear that I'm stressing him out way too much. I didn't know if the pros outweighed the cons, but I would just love if he could have a separate cage outside to enjoy some natural sunlight. I live in California, so the weather is almost always perfect during the day for him. He'd of course come in during the evening, but I'm not sure if I'm doing him more harm than good at this point. He gets so scared and freezes up/clings to me. :(

Ahhh I see. Is there a recommended way of getting him acclimated or should I continue just bringing him outside for 10-15 minutes at a time? We do have a lot of large crows and parrots in our area so I'm definitely not comfortable letting him sit outside alone at all. Every-time we go outside though, he just instantly flips himself upside down and hides under my hand... I feel so bad lol. I've been letting him out of his cage throughout the day to spend by the window basking, and I'm hoping that kinda helps him get used to things... but is there anything else I can do?
Hi there :) I am also a newbie mum to my little P for almost three month now. He was around 4 month when I got him and your cute little guy reminds me of how cute and tiny when I first got mine !
About going outdoors for natural light ☀️☀️☀️This is my experience with mine and hopefully it helps :) the first two weeks I didn’t handle him. I’ll just get a chair in front of his cage and clean and put food in... then the first week of me trying to bring him out side took some time ...he would walk past my hand or turn another way...so I opened the cage just watch from far. Lucky mine is a curious and adventurous little dude so he came out...and I use that opportunity to bring him out. I agree with others that the first darken color can be a little stress or just want more sun:) but after every second day outside....like you mentioned, I was also scared to stress him so if he doesn’t seem to want to go out, I just leave him be. But after some time he climbs to me willingly when I clean the cage and his color is just so pretty outside! And since then I upgraded to a bigger cage (192*37*61cm) and when he sees me coming in and opening the door..he would go from chilling on the basking branch to close to the door so I can take him out. Now he poops and eats most of his food from outside. They are smart and knows more than we think :) Hope your pretty little guy gets to enjoy the sun more and more ☀️☀️☀️

Of course you can have him outside. Just give him a nice cage with lots of plants for cover and so he can get out of the sun if he wants to.

Hi there :) I am also a newbie mum to my little P for almost three month now. He was around 4 month when I got him and your cute little guy reminds me of how cute and tiny when I first got mine !
About going outdoors for natural light ☀☀☀This is my experience with mine and hopefully it helps :) the first two weeks I didn’t handle him. I’ll just get a chair in front of his cage and clean and put food in... then the first week of me trying to bring him out side took some time ...he would walk past my hand or turn another way...so I opened the cage just watch from far. Lucky mine is a curious and adventurous little dude so he came out...and I use that opportunity to bring him out. I agree with others that the first darken color can be a little stress or just want more sun:) but after every second day outside....like you mentioned, I was also scared to stress him so if he doesn’t seem to want to go out, I just leave him be. But after some time he climbs to me willingly when I clean the cage and his color is just so pretty outside! And since then I upgraded to a bigger cage (192*37*61cm) and when he sees me coming in and opening the door..he would go from chilling on the basking branch to close to the door so I can take him out. Now he poops and eats most of his food from outside. They are smart and knows more than we think :) Hope your pretty little guy gets to enjoy the sun more and more ☀☀☀View attachment 246787View attachment 246788

oh my goodness, what a beautiful boy you have!! He resembles my little Felix's color so much, I'm still so curious how he's going to look! I'm glad your boy got used to it, that gives me hope that my baby here will too. They seriously are super smart little critters. In the morning when I first wake up, he starts looking at me and when I approach his cage, he runs over close to the door and gets all excited. I let him hunt half his food, but he also gets fed by hand daily. Such amazing animals these little guys are, I don't think I'll ever get tired of watching him eat. :p Today I actually left his cage open when cleaning, and he decided to come out and wanted desperately back on his little trees by the window. He grabbed onto me and was doing the little hand reaches toward the window LOL, was so dang cute. I'm hoping this can be a routine of ours that he can get adjusted to, eventually moving those trees to an outdoor cage and such. I'm trying to do baby steps with him, slowly at a time. I think I'll continue pushing through and taking him out daily for short periods of time then. I hate to stress him out but I really just want him to have the best quality of life, and I think having a large cage outside is the way to go.

Seriously, I cannot wait for him to grow like your beautiful boy, I'm so excited to see how he's going to look. I keep seeing random colors every now and then, some yellows, reds, blues.... Ahhh I'm excited!! I just hope he turns out to be a happy boy versus a grumpy Cham... non the less, I'll always love him though; they are starting to become one of my new favorite reptiles haha!

Back
Top Bottom