Honey?

Joel

Can chameleons ingest small amounts of honey? the reason i'm asking is im not exactly big on holding crickets or mealworms between my fingers.

If i could dip a chopstick in a tiny bit of honey, i can then "stick" a cricket to the end of that chopstick?

Thanks in advance

The breeder that I got my Cham from actually uses honey as a gutload on occasion so I don't see why not. Hopefully somebody more experienced can give you more info.

Not 100% about chams, but honey is generally considered a very healthy thing to ingest, I know people who eat it everyday for the pollen content, is supposed to help with allergies and stuff. But I think youll find that you will be getting tired of feeding that way pretty quick. I have never liked bugs, they kinda freak me out. I have developed a sort of, well, hatred for crickets at this point. I dont mind handleing them, but some are slow/docile and some act like they just smoked a bunch of meth, then started on the crack, thes crac crickets are hard to deal with. I now stick the crickets in the fridge for 5 min. then dust them, then you can pick them up by there antenne, leg, body, with or without tweezers, then just set them on a branch in front of cham, as the cricket slowly comes to life, the cham will notice, and eat it. This has been the easiest way for me...

I now stick the crickets in the fridge for 5 min. then dust them, then you can pick them up by there antenne, leg, body, with or without tweezers, then just set them on a branch in front of cham, as the cricket slowly comes to life, the cham will notice, and eat it. This has been the easiest way for me...

Thanks for this piece of advice, never thought of doing it this way!

I would avoid feeding honey or other sugars directly to chameleons. As carnivores they would not encounter it in the wild and it is unlikely that they would be able to digest it properly. They rely on the insects to digest it for them.
Bee pollen is said to be a part of their diet as they catch bugs that are covered in it.
Use the fridge method above to subdue your crickets.

Not 100% about chams, but honey is generally considered a very healthy thing to ingest, I know people who eat it everyday for the pollen content, is supposed to help with allergies and stuff. But I think youll find that you will be getting tired of feeding that way pretty quick. I have never liked bugs, they kinda freak me out. I have developed a sort of, well, hatred for crickets at this point. I dont mind handleing them, but some are slow/docile and some act like they just smoked a bunch of meth, then started on the crack, thes crac crickets are hard to deal with. I now stick the crickets in the fridge for 5 min. then dust them, then you can pick them up by there antenne, leg, body, with or without tweezers, then just set them on a branch in front of cham, as the cricket slowly comes to life, the cham will notice, and eat it. This has been the easiest way for me...
I use little mini tupperwares for my vitamin mixes. I have 3 ready, calcium with pollen, calcium with herptivite and pollen, then reptivite with d3 plus repashy calcium plus pollen. They're 3.5"×3.5"×3.5". If your crickets are a little too hyper, just shake em extra hard...it calms em right down. ;-) lol

It's totally messed up. I was just kidding. Crickets piss me off tho when they won't get out of the Tupperware and I end up dropping g it all over the plants in my enclosure. It's a pain in the butt to clean up. Crickets are escape artists too, can't even tell you how many times I've found a cricket in my bed or all over the house. Not sure how it happens

Back
Top Bottom