Homemade screen cage

Rango220

Hi everyone :), I've been scouring the Internet all day and this afternoon, looking for cheap aluminum screen mesh (black) and I'm loosing all hope finding any, do any of you Cham lovers know where I can get any for a 2x2x4 homade cage??? Much appreciated if any of you do!!!:D

Hi everyone :), I've been scouring the Internet all day and this afternoon, looking for cheap aluminum screen mesh (black) and I'm loosing all hope finding any, do any of you Cham lovers know where I can get any for a 2x2x4 homade cage??? Much appreciated if any of you do!!!:D

Trying to make it is useless UNLESS you have all the tools needed. I bought mine for $99.00 from DIYCAGES.Com. I went to Home Depot and the cost of the lumber, screen, hardware and tools was more than that. That did not include the labor to assemble it. You can also buy off Ebay. look up B grade cages. Be careful as you might get something damaged and you will have to repair it.

I made mine :cool: ..it cost me about $75 altogether for hinges, screws and all the lumber and screening and stuff...plus you get exactly what you want as far as size goes....

I'd search UK suppliers of insect screen. I was able to buy wholesale from a USA company, but I was buying enough to build 100 cages. At the time. cost per cage for all of the extrusion, corners, hinges and screening was about $7.50. I do remember that it took me awhile to find a manufacturer of black aluminum screening.

DIYcages.com drives a hard bargain price. Its pretty tough to beat their pricing and quality. However, building your own will save you about $10. Money saving is not the goal of a custom cage. Custom, is the goal. Any size, any style, and possibly stronger, better materials. I dont use aluminum for example, I use PetMesh screen. Its a vinyl coated polyester, seriously tough stuff. It has resisted feline attacks and remained virtually unscathed. Good luck OP, welcome to the big leagues...we all custom our gear up in here.

DIYcages.com drives a hard bargain price. Its pretty tough to beat their pricing and quality. However, building your own will save you about $10. Money saving is not the goal of a custom cage. Custom, is the goal. Any size, any style, and possibly stronger, better materials. I dont use aluminum for example, I use PetMesh screen. Its a vinyl coated polyester, seriously tough stuff. It has resisted feline attacks and remained virtually unscathed. Good luck OP, welcome to the big leagues...we all custom our gear up in here.

great reading you vigilant

How does pet mesh stand up with basking lamps? I was considering it, and actually have a roll of it sitting around but am concerned about it getting heat damage.

As far as the original question if you're handy DIY is a good choice and you can save a lot of money, but if you don't have experience sourcing materials, tools, or a good handle on cage construction your first few cages will probably cost you more than a commercial one. I still say go for it though!

hi
I did my own cage and did two layers of mesh on top, where as on the very top I put industrial strength mesh similar to what they use on doors... It worked so good I plan to put it in all four cages and future cages. After reading about cams burning, I don't want to take any chances with my babies.
:)
http://youtu.be/DrWtxFu7x2Y

Back
Top Bottom