homemade mister (fine mist)

Mario22

Basically i refuse to pay $100+ for a mister that i could do myself, the only drawback i found with the diy mister i had before was that it would go through alot of water...alot. so i figure the key was in the nozzle you would use. i searched for a fine mist nozzle and i found it at (dripirrigation.com) it has a really fine mist and its actually called a "fogger nozzle" because it only uses .8gph ......well it cost me $ 0.74 for the nozzle and $1.71 to ship it ( i ordered 4 different nozzles to try them all and i found that the fogger nozzle was the one with the finest mist) i connected it to a regular spray pump (the ones you use to spray chemicals) which uses a 1/4 tubing. now this set up gives you that fine mist that other brands advertise for $10 but of course its not automated. I also hooked it up to a pond pump that i have (330 gph smartpond) which was refurbished and i got for $13.99 through ebay , have had it for over 6 months with no problems whatsoever). and obviously you can have that hooked up to a timer. that set up cost me around $16.00 . any questions just ask ;)

you mention 2 pumps just curious which one give you the presure to run the nozzles.
also how many nozzels can it run.. i ask because the mistking pump seems pretty good, for the money compared to other pum i have seem at the hardware store

And mistking pump won't burn out if it runs dry for like a day so that's a good thing about mistking. Also the zipdrip valves

the first pump its just one of your regular sprayers like this (http://www.rlflomaster.com/sprayers/gardens.htm) that one can run 2 nozzles, i mean you have to pump it a few times but for $10 i think its great. i also tried 2 nozzles with the pond pump and it still had great pressure so am guessing it could run a couple more. and its mistking its a good setup BUT its expensive for what it is, i mean you do have to rememeber they have to make a profit. and its always cheaper to do it yourself.

ANY pump will burn out if its run dry and its not supposed to. maybe not as fast, but it'll at least damage the pump ( decrease pressure) . and the zip drip valves they also have that available at drip irrigation but i dont see the point of that because my chams always drinks for the drops that are left over straight from the nozzle. kinda looks like a hamster sometimes lol

i def, think dyi is the way to go, but so far i cant find the quality of pump, and ease of everything working so well together at a reasonable price, heck a good timer is $28 at the hardware store. but i do admire what you r doing

i do know what you mean. but i finally got everything working just the way i want it to. I bought the timer at homedepot for $15 its pretty good it doesnt do seconds but it does minutes and am good with that. also the pump..... you can use the pump i showed you but you have to do it by hand OR use a pond pump. now remember .... the thinner the tubing you use the more pressure you generate. if you route the 1/2 tubing that connects directly to the pump you wont get much pressure. you 1/4 and youll get pretty good amount of pressure. if you have questions let me know.

This is a complex DIY project that I myself am still sorting out the details of.

You need a Diaphragm pump capable of producing at least 100 psi and a bladder tank capable of retaining 110psi+
You also will need all of the valves and tubing to be capable of withstanding this kind of pressure as well.

Until I create a system that produces a fine mist I am using a 500gph magnetic aquarium pump attached to a 4 nozzle outlet and 4 1/4" vinyl tubes leading to 4 5gph adjustable spray misting nozzles. It comes out more like small rain drops rather than a mist and I go through about 3/4 gallon per day.

The management and specialized parts of the pressure system and timer are really what you are paying for in a mistking or monsoon.

Building what I have would cost at least 70$

I honestly wish I spent the extra 30 up front for a legit misting system that is reliable and low maintenance.

The monsoon by exo is sufficient for 2 medium size or 1 large size enclosure. Amazon has a pretty good deal on it too if you are looking to spend less.

The DIY for building an equivalent to mistking will run you about 250$ in just parts from discounted dealers... like I said, this is a bit complex so I would love to see a build guide for what you have. This has been driving me nuts for months

Back
Top Bottom