Hole in skin

MH418

Our chameleon died last night. We got him from someone, didnt know if it was male or female. Was very active for the first few months and ate good. Within the last month it was laying on the bottom of the cage and would not climb on anything. We put the dirt in thinking it was female and needed to lay eggs. but nothing happend. Continued to feed him but stoped eating. Some days he moved around more then normal. When we found him last night he was very dark green and black, eyes sunk in and mouth open. When my boyfriend picked him up to put him in a box to lay him to rest, he noticed there was a hole in him. Like under on his belly by his back right leg. I didnt examine it too much, but looked like you could see his insides. Has anyone ever hear of this before? We were thinking maybe parasite? from the worms or crickets? I have searched the internet all morning and havent had any luck
Thank you

nothing in the cage, We very very seldom took it out. It had been laying in the dirt for the last 2-3 weeks.
It was purchased from somewhere and delivered to our friends house when he realized he wouldn't handle 2, and gave us this one months ago

Is it possible that as it was laying on the bottom of the cage incapacitated or dead an aggressive feeder like a superworm or cricket chewed a hole in it?

we put superworms in there, but they would crawl in the dirt he was laying in. do you think its possible they were eating at him?

They are pretty aggressive eaters, even cannibalistic. If your chameleon was too weak to move then this is a possibility.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
The best way to determine what made your chameleon ill in the first place might be to do a review of you husbandry by filling out the how to ask for help form.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
If you plan on getting an other chameleon it would be good to let people see if there is something you should do differently.

we put superworms in there, but they would crawl in the dirt he was laying in. do you think its possible they were eating at him?
I almost guarantee one of the superworms chewed into it while the cham was in this weakened condition, I've seen it before.

Back
Top Bottom