Holding Chams...

Jerambis

Does anyones cham come to them when they put their hand in the cage? Usually I hold out a hand for a few minutes but they usually just sit for a while and never step on it. Then I sort of force them onto my hand by putting my other hand behind them so they have to step onto one of my hands. How do you guys get your chams to come out?

just reach in and grab there tail and pull

(NOT REALLY BAD IDEA I JUST DID IT CAUSE IT MADE ME LAUGH... HAHAHA... OK ENOUGH NOW.. JUST BE CAREFUL.... REALLY.... WOW I JUST NOTICED MY CAPS IS ON.. BUT IM NOT RETYPING THIS.. REMEMBER GOD LOVES YOU .. AND HAVE A GOOD NIGHT)

Last edited:
DO NOT JUST REACH IN AND PULL THEM OUT BY THE TAIL. You could injure the ankles or break the toes or the tail!

I have had quite a few chameleons that will come right over to the door of the cage and simply climb out on me....and I have had others that would chase after me and try to bite me if I dared to put my hand in their cage...even if the hand was no where near the area of the cage that they were in. It all depends on the temperament of the individual. I would say that the ones that come out onto me willingly are not doing it because they "like" me and want some attention, but they look at me as a way to get out of the cage or a safe haven/tree/perch. I would say that they recognize me though because some will also try to get back to me if I hand them to someone else.

What?
I don't agree with the tail pull.
If you absolutely have to bring your cham out...for cage cleaning etc.
treat it like you would a parrot and gently encourage the lizard to climb on your hand by pushing up on his/her gular area offering your fingers as a higher perch to step on.
Try not to cover the top of the body, and definetely don't pull on the tail.
You may have to chase the animal around a bit, but it will naturally cimb up if your hand is higher then the surrounding branches.
Gentle patience is my recomendation. The animal will still be stressed, but a lot less then if you just grab it or pull on the tail.

-Brad

Haha I knew you were joking. I should have added a Haha after those little funny faces.

I try and give my cham a treat, like a few fruit flies, after he comes to my hand, will this teach him to come to my hand instead of running in a few months or so?

im faster...the problem with that type of a "joke" is that someone can read it and not read the follow-up and think that its the truth.

Brad...there were only the first two posts when I replied...so it obviously affected a few of us like that!

Absolutely.
I have ideas of posting funny responses like that, I have never had the balls.
Now I have become a gullible victim.
Although I have to say, sometimes people seriously post questions or advice that is not that far from the clever prank we were just subjected to.
I shall continue to respond in a sincere and helpful manner...just in case!

:) -Brad

Actually I thought he was kidding...actually I thought he was a little punchy b/c he was up typing that at 11:45PM...but that may not be late for a lot of people, just me! My chams don't run away from me (they don't run at all) but they don't climb on me unless I give them a nudge. I usually just pick up the stick they're on, but they're small, so it's easier.

I reach out mi hand (into a terarium) and then i put a cricket on my anckle so chameleon can see it moving. (i hold the cricket, but it's moving)
And then the chameleon climbs on my hand to get the cricket.
But this works only when he is hungry.

PS:he is 10 months old Yemen

They do it when their desire to climb your arm to get out of the cage outweighs their fear of climbing onto you. You can work on the fear thing and over time you might get good results, but how do you make a cham want out his cage more?

I took phoenix worms and placed them up my arm, she noticed them right away and climbed up my arm to eat them, it's the only way she'll come out though unfortunately, but it's good enough for me. I make sure that I put my hand near her daily so she remembers who I am.

Back
Top Bottom