Hold Me!

opheliaeatsbugs

Avid Member
This is a horrible picture, sorry, but she totally caught me off guard!

She was showing some pretty colors and I wanted to take a quick pic.

As I walked towards her enclosure and opened the door, she practically launched herself at my face!

Now, I understand that she isn't motivated by love or because she needs to be held... obviously she wants to get out if her cage, and quick!

So it got me thinking... am I not providing what she needs in order for her to be comfortable in the space provided for her? Are all caged animals at their core unhappy? Is she trying to escape her prison? What does it all mean?????

Sorry, got carried away...
20170826_152149.jpg

All my chameleons but a couple of them are that eager to come out and be held! I know there are people who feel that there is no emotional reason why they do it, no attachment! But all they need to do is come and spent some time here and I am 100% sure that they will feel uncertain about the previous strong statements they have made! These guys LOVE the Love they get and give!

My one panther was/is as personable as they get, would actively jump onto me even. Now that i made his perch even higher above my head, hes not as interested. Panthers are annoying to hold anyway imo. They climb all over you and dont sit still lol. I think its the need to explore and be near the thing that gives them treats. I'd rather hold my cats though :)

As for being caged and unhappy, I think some animals want to be out and about getting everywhere they can,. While some are okay holed up in their cages. Individual personality. Some Panthers could use a larger enclosure than a parsonii while others could do fine in an 18x18x36. When you get to more complex exotic animals, I think its important to make more choices based off the individual and understand what they would respond best to. The enclosure should be their home more so than a cage.

My one panther was/is as personable as they get, would actively jump onto me even. Now that i made his perch even higher above my head, hes not as interested. Panthers are annoying to hold anyway imo. They climb all over you and dont sit still lol. I think its the need to explore and be near the thing that gives them treats. I'd rather hold my cats though :)

As for being caged and unhappy, I think some animals want to be out and about getting everywhere they can,. While some are okay holed up in their cages. Individual personality. Some Panthers could use a larger enclosure than a parsonii while others could do fine in an 18x18x36. When you get to more complex exotic animals, I think its important to make more choices based off the individual and understand what they would respond best to. The enclosure should be their home more so than a cage.
I am saving for a new enclosure for her. I think (her personality) needs a larger home - somewhere to get lost. I wish I could turn my entire backyard into a space for her!

All my chameleons but a couple of them are that eager to come out and be held! I know there are people who feel that there is no emotional reason why they do it, no attachment! But all they need to do is come and spent some time here and I am 100% sure that they will feel uncertain about the previous strong statements they have made! These guys LOVE the Love they get and give!
This is an understatement !!. We have one of those babies that jumps out to be on us !!. Whom was jumping off things to get our attention so he could come out being quite content to just be on us .

Matt Vanilla Gorilla....don't you know you're just a bigger better tree for them to sit on! :)
A lot of my cages are bigger than me and sits higher than me! When the chameleon comes rushing down from the tippy top to get down to me it is quite interesting! Especially if it is 30 minutes after you fead them, they ate well and were just lazily basking till they saw you!

A lot of my cages are bigger than me and sits higher than me! When the chameleon comes rushing down from the tippy top to get down to me it is quite interesting! Especially if it is 30 minutes after you fead them, they ate well and were just lazily basking till they saw you!
Or Jumps off the tippy top . It's your fault lol :(.

I was just playing, I know you're all excellent keepers! I'm more of the cynical type chameleons don't care about us attitude, to each their own. Good care is good care doesn't matter how we perceive them :)
I get ur humor :) I like the idea that my efforts are somehow more meaningful than just basic instinct brain. So im sticking with Matt... ur not my favorite anymore ;):p

Back
Top Bottom