Hmm what is going on with this hornworm?

AReptile

I bought hornworms and silkworms two weeks ago and I am down to 2 now after feeding them both to my dragons and cham. There was one on the surface of the remaining chow that looked normal and I found another buried under it and he isn't green anymore, IDk if it's dying or getting ready to turn into a moth. Anyone know? Also what is up with the chow? After a week the chow in the silkworm dish turned yellowish and most of the remaining silkworms died... And the remaining chow in the hornworm cup is yellow as well. Is there any way to prevent that? Also should those two hornworms be left in there or relocated from the chow. This is my first time dealing with anything that eats the mulberry chow so idk what happened..

Attachments

• DSC01398.jpg
    DSC01398.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 1,020
  • DSC01399.jpg
    DSC01399.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 562
I have the same question, basically. I bought a cup of hornworms a week ago, and after being told there was enough food in the cup for all the worms to reach full size (NOT true), the ones left looked like that this morning.

I'm curious to see what others say. I'm going to search for the answers and will link back here if I find anything.

its was either desieased and dying. or starting to coocon. they shrink right before the harden to coocon.

I bought hornworms and silkworms two weeks ago and I am down to 2 now after feeding them both to my dragons and cham. There was one on the surface of the remaining chow that looked normal and I found another buried under it and he isn't green anymore, IDk if it's dying or getting ready to turn into a moth. Anyone know? Also what is up with the chow? After a week the chow in the silkworm dish turned yellowish and most of the remaining silkworms died... And the remaining chow in the hornworm cup is yellow as well. Is there any way to prevent that? Also should those two hornworms be left in there or relocated from the chow. This is my first time dealing with anything that eats the mulberry chow so idk what happened..

I breed horn worms as well. I put in 4 inches of top soil and throw them some chow..every night, they disappear into the dirt.

you can try that too.

As for silkworms, it is really easier to just buy them by the bulk and a bag of leaves.. you can't kill silkworms with leaves, but you can kill them with chow... rotten chow.. the horn worms are nearly impossible to kill.

Too bad summer is over and leaves are dropping soon...

Ahh well originally I wanted just the hornworms for my bearded dragon, who laid eggs and I knew she would need more food to get back to normal size/weight. I had to get something else cuz the order had to exceed a certain amount to be valid so i just got the silkworms for my cham/dragons as well. I checked on the hornworm out of boredom and it is still moving when i poke it. Matter of fact it thrashes violently lol.

Ahh well originally I wanted just the hornworms for my bearded dragon, who laid eggs and I knew she would need more food to get back to normal size/weight. I had to get something else cuz the order had to exceed a certain amount to be valid so i just got the silkworms for my cham/dragons as well. I checked on the hornworm out of boredom and it is still moving when i poke it. Matter of fact it thrashes violently lol.

they kinda bite and do cannibalize.. vicious little things. LOL. Silks are tame, not lame, but nice and tame :)

i found the larger one buried in the chow today as well (still green). I guess they are both pupating. The silks were nice enough for me to hand feed, something i wouldnt even consider with the hornworms lmao. Nasty looking things.

Well it is to my cham because she can't eat it yet. My beardie would tear it up though! Idk hopefully they both become moths and leave me some eggs, and then i can feed them off.

The original worm i posted hasturned brownish/red and is definitely pupating now. Either that or mutating into something else! And the other green hornworm that was next to it i think is gonna start pupating too cuz its buried under the chow. For those who breed these guys, how long does it take for them to become moths?

Back
Top Bottom